Cali Kid Corals

Stupid Nuisance Algae Taking Over Tank!

I've had a nuisance algae for a long time, but it's recently started to really take over my tank. There are four major rocks that have it, two of which have my best two colonies of zoas, and the other two rocks can be replaced. There is some in random places all over the tank, so I probably won't be able to get rid of it. It grows like tiny branching maroon-purple fuzz, but it's brittle.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of it? I know there's cyanoalgae medication, is there something like that for other algaes? If I can't get rid of it, what are some things I can do to eliminate it? I'll replace the rocks that can be replaced.

Here's a picture of it. It's the purple-maroon stuff all over the rocks. The picture was taken around 6 months ago and the algae is still there.

2urqhwl.jpg

BTW, nitrates, nitrites, ammonias, and phosphates have been at 0 for as long as I can remember.

Turbo snails. They'll fall over/get knocked over so you have to make sure you flip them back over/put them back on the rocks

The larger issue at hand is high nutrients in your water. It's been said everywhere, if you have the resources available, something will use them. Do whatever you need to do to get the nitrates and phosphates... skimming, water changes, growing desirable macro, etc.

Tamazula said:
The larger issue at hand is high nutrients in your water. It's been said everywhere, if you have the resources available, something will use them. Do whatever you need to do to get the nitrates and phosphates... skimming, water changes, growing desirable macro, etc.

I'm currently skimming, doing a 20% WC every 1-2 weeks, and growing some macro in my RSM surface skimmer box thingy-ma-jigger 4" from the light bulbs. :)

That red turf algae is pretty bad and hard to get rid off from my experience...I used to have it in my old RSM too and it was just taking over the entire tank. It's best to just take out the rocks and scrub them really good. It didn't harm any of my corals or fishes then but it's just an eye sore.

A lot of tanks that have lower nutrient levels can suffer from turf algae. I agree with the turbo snail (singular) recommendations, if the snail wanders off and is screwing around carefully pluck it from where it is goofing off by molesting its foot, place it on the algae and tell it to get to work.

Back