Substrate planning for my next tank.

Crushed coral substrate for Anemone tank

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Hi everyone,
just want to hear people's opinions on what substrate should I get for my clownfish harem mix anemone tank setup.
I tried sand and bare bottom already. What's everyone's opinion on large crushed coral as Substrate for carpet Anemone and RBTA? Saw the setup at @H2OPlayar house and looks pretty good.
Pros and cons?
How often do I need to clean the crushed coral bed?
Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
Crushed coral is easier to clean than sand IMO because the water can push past the individual pieces and flush detritus. It also gives a great pod hideout and lots of biological filtration. I would do it the same way if I had to setup again (which I did on my "small" nem tank). But you already knew that from coming over :)

Crushed coral is easier to clean than sand IMO because the water can push past the individual pieces and flush detritus. It also gives a great pod hideout and lots of biological filtration. I would do it the same way if I had to setup again (which I did on my "small" nem tank). But you already knew that from coming over :)
Btw what size of crush coral did you get for your tank? And did you add a small layer of sand bed under the crush corals?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210922-103944__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20210922-103944__01.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 148
I did add ~3 bags of sand in the beginning to help seed things. In retrospect, I don't think it mattered. The crushed coral does a good job of keeping the sand down, but the sand likely is a trap for lots of stuff. If I could snap my finders and make the sand go away, I probably would, but it isn't worth the effort I think it would take for the benefits I think I might get.

I got the biggest pieces I could find. Some of them are easily over 1" long.

I did add ~3 bags of sand in the beginning to help seed things. In retrospect, I don't think it mattered. The crushed coral does a good job of keeping the sand down, but the sand likely is a trap for lots of stuff. If I could snap my finders and make the sand go away, I probably would, but it isn't worth the effort I think it would take for the benefits I think I might get.

I got the biggest pieces I could find. Some of them are easily over 1" long.
Is Neptune the only place that sells them right?

Mine has ~3", which I really like for the pistol shrimp. I also have a large enough tank so that some detritus buildup isn't a problem, and you may want to go thinner for cleanability. Overall though, I would say do what you like the look of.

Back