Reef nutrition

Sump light

I had a LOA fixture a while back, the ballast crapped out quickly though. Still got a big ass bulb that goes in it though :D It's too bad these aren't like other screw-in CFLs, otherwise I'd just use one of my MH sockets and screw it in to the wall.

HD/Lowes are getting a lot better in having "daylight" bulbs stocked too, before you'd almost have to pull teeth to find any, still not as numerous as Soft/Warm white bulbs, but they're getting better.

yeah in my last tank I had a simular fixture to that mentioned in dswong01 post. I liked it but am looking towards something closer to melevsreef. I'll swing by HD tomorrow, and see if anything is close.

I have the bulb that Melev recommended. It works great. The Cheato in my sump grows extremely fast. I highly recommend it. I bought a couple of the bulbs when I ordered mine if you are interested in it let me know I will sell it to you for what I paid.

I use this, Chaeto groes very well:

Clamponlight.jpg

And this bulb from Home Depot:
lightbulb.jpg

Hey Al,

Why do you use the clip reflector on a bulb that has a built in reflector?

BTW, Al's bulb is nearly the exact same as Melev's but you can buy it at HD. I can also say the bulb grows cheato like CRAZY!

Dyngoe, I don't use the reflector that came with the clamp on light, you can just unscrew them. I only use the clamp and socket. As you said, it is not necessary since the bulb has a built in reflector.

Stupid question, but if I get the above 16W bulb, can it go into my 100W clamp light (same as above picture). I forgot if the 100W rating means "no bulbs over 100W" or "100W bulbs only". Thanks!

100w is what it's thermally and electrically rated up to. Meaning if you exceed that you might run into minor problems like fires :D But yeah you can screw in any bulb under 100w into just fine.

I have one of those clip on reflectors somewhere.... I need a major cleaning operation in my garage though, however I'd not worry too much about it, as the built in reflector of the bulb also seals off the electronics a bit more than a twisty bulb alone, nice to have where water can occasionally splash about.

Back