Our mission

Super-quiet skimmer recommendations?

@sfsuphysics : Vertex pumps are a bit unknown. Supposedly the Alpha pumps are still re-branded red dragon,
but the old AC ones, not the fancy new DC ones. And there are complaints about getting replacements,
since they have switched production to mostly DC pumps.

@Flagg37: DT is 240, but I have some livestock in the 100G Fuge as well. Sounds very similar in size to Kim above.
So yes, Alpha 200. Although looking at rating, seems a bit on the edge.

If I go semi-DIY, I could put an RD3 or Skimz pump on my current skimmer.

I am so confused now.... :confused:
I'd say this is the ticket if you are happy with the skimmer performance and just want it quieter

I have an Alpha 200 that I got in a trade. The pump is not an Red Dragon but apparently they are a relabeled pump anyway.

I have not tried running it. Got it as a spare in case my DC200 broke for some reason.

Only thing wrong with it is it doesn't have the stand the pump sits on. I was just going to prop it up somehow.

You are welcome to borrow it to try if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an Alpha 200 that I got in a trade. The pump is not an Red Dragon but apparently they are a relabeled pump anyway.

I have not tried running it. Got it as a spare in case my DC200 broke for some reason.

Only thing wrong with it is it doesn't have the stand the pump sits on. I was just going to prop it up somehow.

You are welcome to borrow it to try if you want.

That is quite an offer, but I would feel rather weird borrowing that expensive a piece of hardware.

On the Alpha?

A new one is $930. A DC200 is only slightly more and has a RD3 rather than an AC pump.

Yes, I had the same thought for a while.
It is just that I am just not entirely sold on the RD3 pump.
It uses almost twice the power, you get less air in, and it costs more.
So ... ?? :confused:
Seems more marketing and hype.

Beauty of a D.C. Pump is it is adjustable. My DC 200 runs at 29w which is in the recommended range of 28-32w for this skimmer.

More air doesn't mean a better skimmer. Neck size plays a factor in determining how much air is needed and seeing as the Alpha 200 has a huge neck, I can see why they want more air intake.

I suggest you send silef a PM on RC and ask his opinion. He is a straight talker and will recommend something else if it suits you better.

Beauty of a D.C. Pump is it is adjustable. My DC 200 runs at 29w which is in the recommended range of 28-32w for this skimmer.

More air doesn't mean a better skimmer. Neck size plays a factor in determining how much air is needed and seeing as the Alpha 200 has a huge neck, I can see why they want more air intake.

I suggest you send silef a PM on RC and ask his opinion. He is a straight talker and will recommend something else if it suits you better.

Very good points.

So how big is the neck??
The Vertex is 5". My current skimmer is 4.5"
I see some mention of a 90mm (3.5") O-ring on the DC200, but no exact specs anywhere.

Ordered a Bubble King Double Cone 200 + RD3 speedy. :)
So no changing my mind anymore!

Slief was a good hint. Those threads had most of the info I needed.

Thanks for all the good advice.

Back