Jestersix

Talk to me about filter sock cleaning

Anyone use reef dypers? They look interesting but not very sustainable but filter floss isn't really either.
Using socks for the first time for the past 5 months they are a pita like the majority have quoted! even though I have a dozen in rotation changing them every 5 days toss them in the washing machine after a hose rinse.. My sump has 3 sock holders but only running two twelve inchers..I also stuff a long strip of filter floss between the baffle overflow of the return pump chamber that sits above the water line on egg crate. May switch to the cups or mesh soon then external filter roller down the road..

I use the socks made specifically for the NUVO 40. Best way to clean socks by far is just soaking them in a mixture of bleach and hot water over night. The next day, I just hose them off and all the gunk rinses off super easy, then air dry completely before next use. I’ve had socks last me years cleaning this way. Just a suggestion for those who don’t have room for rollers or scrubbers.

Anyone use reef dypers? They look interesting but not very sustainable but filter floss isn't really either.

I do. I started using them 4 or 5 months ago because I hated cleaning the felt socks. It sure is a lot easier but I agree that they're not exactly sustainable. It's roughly $1.00 per change and I change it out every 4-5 days. It adds up over time. I don't miss washing out the felt socks though.

~Charlie

I wash my socks 1-2 times per week in a high efficiency washer, but haven’t seen any effect on the skimmer, so I wonder what’s different. I throw them in the washer (no pre-wash to clean the washer), run normal wash with bleach plus extra rinse cycle. You don’t need the bleach unless you are mixing socks from different tanks. I wonder if your laundry detergent is leaving residue - we use various brands (whatever’s on sale) of free & clear type detergent. Try skipping the bleach to see if that’s the problem, if not, might try using a different detergent?
Glad I searched for and read this thread before asking! I've been cleaning mine in the yard and reusing the waste water to water plants due to the drought, but wanted to see if the HE washer we have here is more efficient.

We only use the free and gentle Tide here too and since Tide is protease based and not soap based, I figure it should be safe?

Back