High Tide Aquatics

Tank flow question

ashburn2k

Supporting Member
I visited the Calikid Coral store for the first time yesterday and was impressed by their frag tanks. However, to my surprise, I noticed that none of those tanks utilize secondary flow or wave pumps to increase water flow.

So, I'd like to pose a question to the community: Do you adopt a similar approach in your setups?

In my own observation, I have a 40-50g frag tank, and I've implemented a system with both mp40 and gyre pumps on a scheduled switch-up flow (MWF mp40 at 20% power, TTH gyre at 80% power). After my visit to Calikid's store, I decided to turn off all my in-tank pumps, leaving only the return pump running. A few hours later, I noticed that most of my fish were more active and social than before. Could it be that I had too much flow in the tank? The only thing that doesn't seem to be thriving is my torch, which appears somewhat lifeless with minimal tentacle movement.

I visited the Calikid Coral store for the first time yesterday and was impressed by their frag tanks. However, to my surprise, I noticed that none of those tanks utilize secondary flow or wave pumps to increase water flow.

So, I'd like to pose a question to the community: Do you adopt a similar approach in your setups?

In my own observation, I have a 40-50g frag tank, and I've implemented a system with both mp40 and gyre pumps on a scheduled switch-up flow (MWF mp40 at 20% power, TTH gyre at 80% power). After my visit to Calikid's store, I decided to turn off all my in-tank pumps, leaving only the return pump running. A few hours later, I noticed that most of my fish were more active and social than before. Could it be that I had too much flow in the tank? The only thing that doesn't seem to be thriving is my torch, which appears somewhat lifeless with minimal tentacle movement.

Do you check and see if there were closed loop pumps in addition to the return pumps?

I know this is going to be a huge discussion. Just to put in my 2 cents. My fish seem excited when there’s less flow because they know I am about to feed because I turn return pumps off and put the wave makes on “feed” so it’s easier for the fish to eat/ food doesn’t waste into the filter.

Lastly everything I’ve learned talks about corals needing a certain amount of flow for water to pass through its tissue so it can take the elements/nutrients it needs from the water.

Do you check and see if there were closed loop pumps in addition to the return pumps?
no closed loop, just return flow. and BB with no sand. their frag tank is same as your old frag tank with coast to coast overflow at one end and water coming out opposite from overflow

I could be wrong. I think those are just holding tanks. So flow isn’t really an issue. Some flow will be enough for a little while. Different mindset than your own aquarium. Where it would be a grow out tank or a display.
Dunno about that big aquarium tho. Could be all low and medium flow corals. Never examined it

I did, don’t see a wave pump, talked to Cos and he said he like it natural and doesn't think it’s nessary need a lot of flow

Their frag tanks are stocked with a lot of Acans, Mushrooms, chalices, and euphyllia which dont need too much flow. Their torches and a few others in there might appreciate a bit more flow, but everything will get along fine until they're sold.
Also, their flat tanks are designed to be viewable from top down, so too much more churn and it would make it tough to see the corals.

The massive tank in the back however, I am surprised that they dont need pumps on the end pushing water back to the overflow. They definitely have Acros in there which would probably like it pumped up, but it's a pretty bare system at the moment so still tbd on growth and where they want to go with it. If you pay attention to the surface of it there does seem to be adequate movement through the whole tank.

Back