got ethical husbandry?

Tank spawned torch babies

Great! You likely have brooder species (different from pocillopora in that they take in sperm, but mass spawn later, rather than releasing larvae all the time . Given the time frame, you corals likely came in fertilized and you did a great job of keeping them happy enough to cook all the way through. This has been happening, at least that I am aware of, since the early 2000's and we are seeing it more as people know what to look for. Great job!
Interesting... Would gestation last over 8 - 9 months? (Probably more since the corals were sitting with the suppliers for at least another 1 - 2 months before they arrived here)

I can't really say that I have kept them happy... the torches went through several stress events from infection, to Ca spike due to a runaway DOS, etc.

What's interesting is that I didn't see any egg like or larvae like elements in the release from the holygrail. the excretion was more like a sperm release. And then last night, I saw my green torch release a clump of what looks like eggs surrounded in mucous.

I read an article of the UCA team creating 2 instances of successful aussie gold tank-spawns. Article mentioned a Nov - Dec spawning event. So I was surprised to see that spawning in my tank ahead fo schedule, assuming that my indo torches follows a similar rhythm given geographic proximity.

Guess time will tell. Let's see if a second spawning might take place. :)

Interesting... Would gestation last over 8 - 9 months? (Probably more since the corals were sitting with the suppliers for at least another 1 - 2 months before they arrived here)

I can't really say that I have kept them happy... the torches went through several stress events from infection, to Ca spike due to a runaway DOS, etc.

What's interesting is that I didn't see any egg like or larvae like elements in the release from the holygrail. the excretion was more like a sperm release. And then last night, I saw my green torch release a clump of what looks like eggs surrounded in mucous.

I read an article of the UCA team creating 2 instances of successful aussie gold tank-spawns. Article mentioned a Nov - Dec spawning event. So I was surprised to see that spawning in my tank ahead fo schedule, assuming that my indo torches follows a similar rhythm given geographic proximity.

Guess time will tell. Let's see if a second spawning might take place. :)

I think you have a brooder and a spawner, but down to species is not easy. IIRC the brooder euphyllia's are gonocoric, so no sperm egg bundles, rather eggs or sperm. Gameteogensis can take 8-9 months, not sure on the development of larvae for brooders, but could 'gestation' could easily be the same.
You could also have stress spawns! LOL. Normal GBR spawning times is Nov-Dec

I think you have a brooder and a spawner, but down to species is not easy. IIRC the brooder euphyllia's are gonocoric, so no sperm egg bundles, rather eggs or sperm. Gameteogensis can take 8-9 months, not sure on the development of larvae for brooders, but could 'gestation' could easily be the same.
You could also have stress spawns! LOL. Normal GBR spawning times is Nov-Dec
My assumption on this lot has been a stress spawn. It happened shortly after a CaCl spike due to a malfunctioning DOS. This happened at the beginning of Aug, a few days later, the spawning occurred. And about 2 - 3 weeks later is when I noticed babies.

Great! You likely have brooder species (different from pocillopora in that they take in sperm, but mass spawn later, rather than releasing larvae all the time . Given the time frame, you corals likely came in fertilized and you did a great job of keeping them happy enough to cook all the way through. This has been happening, at least that I am aware of, since the early 2000's and we are seeing it more as people know what to look for. Great job!
This was my line of thinking on this as well.

My assumption on this lot has been a stress spawn. It happened shortly after a CaCl spike due to a malfunctioning DOS. This happened at the beginning of Aug, a few days later, the spawning occurred. And about 2 - 3 weeks later is when I noticed babies.
Perhaps, but their engine was already primed.

I’m sorry in advance, but I’m calling you Michael if we ever meet.
“What’s your favorite song?…. Umm… all of them…”

If you get me some torch corals you can call me what ever you want. Ironic I’ve heard this joke since mid 90s, but Michael Bolton’s real last name is even Bolton it’s Bolotin so that no talent ass clown stole my name.

Lost 2 babies. One gold, one green. The asterinas ate them.

On brighter side, what i thought was a hammer baby turna out to be a larger torch baby.

So net change... -1.

E3DD7E7E-E76E-4F16-B335-A182A5840F1B.jpeg
111AF6C7-87E0-4D87-8977-BD0381F3AC59.jpeg

FDE6A8B2-BDA0-48AA-A886-FBE4277B2664.jpeg

Back