Our mission

Tank transfer and need some help

Where do you live? I'm free this weekend.

-Edit: I should say that as I don't have work but I'm just working on my own tank upgrade all weekend. Could use a break from my project. :cool:

I might ask to steal a few of the detrivores you toss out though.

Where do you live? I'm free this weekend.

-Edit: I should say that as I don't have work but I'm just working on my own tank upgrade all weekend. Could use a break from my project. :cool:

I might ask to steal a few of the detrivores you toss out though.
I leave in Union City, off 880 and Alvarado Blvd. I will toss the detrivores and some old water, but my tank is little over two month old and does not have much of the detrivores.

Mark already help me a few time.
I enjoy helping. Count me in. Although time on Saturday is a bit limited.

+1 on getting a large brute tub.

I would recommend against doing it all in one big rush.
Especially if you have a lot of plumbing. You need to let solvent dry on fittings. Nasty stuff.
An idea:
Saturday morning: Tear down old tank.
Saturday afternoon: Plumb new tank. Try some rock-scaping.
Sunday morning: Fill tank with tap water, check plumbing.
Sunday afternoon: Put rocks and sand into new tank, adjust, let settle.
Sunday night: Put fish and coral back in new tank.

Acclimation is a big concern with huge water changes. What you can do it mix the new and old BEFORE the change.
Once you make new water, pump some of it back/forth into your main tank several times.
Not hard, and that way all the water matches pretty well.

You will probably want to rinse the old sand. Having extra salt water and a seive ready might be handy.

Make a cardboard template for new holes to drill if it is at all complex.
Do you have a hole saw? (I have a couple of sizes)

Side note: I am slowly replacing my garage system, and will probably disconnect my old fuge on Sunday.
That means a spare 90G tank you could borrow, and a lot of extra water.

Well, I'm free all weekend. I'm happy to help, not sure exactly where union city is but I have a car so w/e.

Uhh, Mark if you are taking a refugium out of service I'd love to get some scoops of sand. My outdoor refugium crashed this summer when my return pump quit for a month. Trying to repopulate critters.

:D Fwiw I've got a roof rack on my car and iirc Kensington reefer lives on Berkeley? It'd be on my way but it looks funny to strap items to my roof.

Well, I'm free all weekend. I'm happy to help, not sure exactly where union city is but I have a car so w/e.

Uhh, Mark if you are taking a refugium out of service I'd love to get some scoops of sand. My outdoor refugium crashed this summer when my return pump quit for a month. Trying to repopulate critters.
I have two bucket of sand that came out of my tank early this year, let me know if you want it.

I enjoy helping. Count me in. Although time on Saturday is a bit limited.

+1 on getting a large brute tub.

I would recommend against doing it all in one big rush.
Especially if you have a lot of plumbing. You need to let solvent dry on fittings. Nasty stuff.
An idea:
Saturday morning: Tear down old tank.
Saturday afternoon: Plumb new tank. Try some rock-scaping.
Sunday morning: Fill tank with tap water, check plumbing.
Sunday afternoon: Put rocks and sand into new tank, adjust, let settle.
Sunday night: Put fish and coral back in new tank.

Acclimation is a big concern with huge water changes. What you can do it mix the new and old BEFORE the change.
Once you make new water, pump some of it back/forth into your main tank several times.
Not hard, and that way all the water matches pretty well.

You will probably want to rinse the old sand. Having extra salt water and a seive ready might be handy.

Make a cardboard template for new holes to drill if it is at all complex.
Do you have a hole saw? (I have a couple of sizes)

Side note: I am slowly replacing my garage system, and will probably disconnect my old fuge on Sunday.
That means a spare 90G tank you could borrow, and a lot of extra water.

I have a 37 gal bin that I will use for temporary house couple of fish and a dozen of coral. I will put rock on other bin. I don't think I need the 90gal or the 125 brute bin. This transfer will be quick, my plan is move coral, rock, drain everything and cut the pipe before 11AM, then I need some help to move the current tank out then move the new tank to the same spot right away. This is for tank swap only, everything else will stay the same.
Mark, I may need your help to move the tank out and in, it will take around 30min max. I will call you tomorrow morning when tank is ready to move.

Sorry, the current fuge only has an artificial sand bottom. Aragonite epoxied to bottom.

Sounds like you don't get your wish. :p

I'm good at lashing things down. The guy I bought my 155 from was impressed when I hauled it home on my roof rack.

Clean ur sand with a mixer using 30% of the old water. I would use as much of old water in the new tank.

Wish I could help u this wknd but got my hands full with 4 kids man.

Thank you everyone for your idea and suggestion. Especially thank Gust for driving all the way down from SF and Mark as always.
I notice a few drop on the drain line, my plumping skill is terrible. I will fix the plumping when I have time. Tank is up and running with 60% of old water, re-used old sand because old sand only couple months old. I will let it run 24hrs then put all live stock back. I will update my tank thread.

Back