got ethical husbandry?

Tapatalk Users - BAR Forum is no longer on Tapatalk

Sigh, I will continue to use Tapatalk until it is no longer supported.

Website is clunkier to use than Tapatalk in a mobile device, which is what I’m on most of the time.

Posting pictures is now a 2 step process vs using Tapatalk. Have to convert to jpg from heic 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
7303A7EE-92C7-4232-8B6A-D00BBDA2C9C6.png

No extra clicks for me, no image type conversion, super simple and easy. If you haven’t tried it since we upgraded in 2019, it is much improved for mobile device use.

I’ve never heard of HEIC format besides what I just googled, but I wonder if our site can use or convert it directly? @svreef
Be nice if viewers would just read it directly without the need for conversation. While I'm not a fan of Apple and their "We're doing it this way, I don't care if you like it" mentality, case in point text messaging with someone who "likes" a message (and you're not on an Apple device), being able to accept multiple different image formats especially ones that are used by a great number of people (i.e. iphone users) without the need to convert it would be a better option. Of course we don't write the software, so there may be limitations, and most of the world doesn't have an instant tool to view, I think most browsers need plugins to convert them or something.

Overall, if it's possible to upload I think it should be allowed, even if not everyone can view it. Kind of think of it as a "that's their problem" solution.

Be nice if viewers would just read it directly without the need for conversation. While I'm not a fan of Apple and their "We're doing it this way, I don't care if you like it" mentality, case in point text messaging with someone who "likes" a message (and you're not on an Apple device), being able to accept multiple different image formats especially ones that are used by a great number of people (i.e. iphone users) without the need to convert it would be a better option. Of course we don't write the software, so there may be limitations, and most of the world doesn't have an instant tool to view, I think most browsers need plugins to convert them or something.

Overall, if it's possible to upload I think it should be allowed, even if not everyone can view it. Kind of think of it as a "that's their problem" solution.

HEIC compresses images at 40-50% compared to similar images shot in the JPEG format. For example, a typical JPEG scene that results in a 2.0 MB file will only consume 1.0 MB.

I like saving valuable space on my phone. Think of this as the mp3 of image compression.

if you’re using a Mac you can setup an automation task to convert HEIC to jpeg with a drag and drop. See this link on how to do that:

Hope this helps.

Randy

I’m obviously not an expert, but I use all Apple devices and don’t have any issues uploading directly from my devices to our site, nor do I have any issues with storage space on my devices. So the use of Apple‘s HEIC format must be optional somehow. Still, if it’s possible to serve our members better by accommodating alternative formats, I’m all for it.

I’m obviously not an expert, but I use all Apple devices and don’t have any issues uploading directly from my devices to our site, nor do I have any issues with storage space on my devices. So the use of Apple‘s HEIC format must be optional somehow. Still, if it’s possible to serve our members better by accommodating alternative formats, I’m all for it.

If you don’t want to use heic format on an iPhone you can go back to jpeg. Here is how to change the default.

Mid-week bump. We are approximately a week away, so if you see friends still using Tapatalk here please make sure they know this is coming.

Both. The website doesn't accept heic format.
Appreciate the help debugging this!

I do feel we should make sure non-tapetalk is just as good.

What should happen is that operating system, not our website, will convert it to a usable format on the fly.
Now that HEIC is pretty widely adopted, we could probably allow it to be used directly on the site.
@svreef ??

Questions:

1) What browser are you using when upload fails? Safari or other?

2) When you take a picture, are you doing single image or a burst using "Live Photo"

Image below was single image HEIC, and Safari, running macOS big sur, which automatically converted it to PNG (not jpeg) format on the fly before uploading.

tempImageZKPnKg.png

1) Chrome

2) Single picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks!
Confirmed : Chrome does NOT work with HEIC, even single frame.
File format is greyed out when trying to attach file.
But it does work in Safari. Same computer, same file, same thread.
I will let @svreef have fun with it.

Technically it’s not. It was a proprietary format developed by the Motion Pictures Expert Group (mpeg), but Apple has been the only OS so far that has adopted it as a platform standard.
Same difference. Thunderbolt / FireWire is another example of a technology that is prominent on apple computers but actually could be used on a pc.... but more than likely not.

Same difference. Thunderbolt / FireWire is another example of a technology that is prominent on apple computers but actually could be used on a pc.... but more than likely not.

Thunderbolt was actually developed by Intel and Apple jointly and a number of Windows based laptops did launch with thunderbolt at the same time as Apple, but it never gained traction in the Windows world because of cost and the rise of USB 3 at the relatively same time. I think there are still some high end Windows based video editing systems that ship with Thunderbolt.

anyway...nit-picky techno babble....no more for reefing forum.

It does make sense that if Apple is embracing the HEIC standard and Google isn’t, that Safari would support it and Chrome not necessarily.

Also makes more sense how my iPhone using Safari automatically converts HEIC seamlessly.

Looks like I can also seamlessly upload a pic taken on my iPhone and uploaded via Chrome on my iPad:

683F5E77-B3D0-4812-948F-25B86F48EC45.jpeg

So is the only permutation that doesn’t work uploading HEIC (used by Apple) on a non-mobile device using Chrome?

Back