Kessil

TGunn's 90g Reef

Having served on various HOA board myself I'm in the pro-HOA camp lol. Unlike building management, HOA goal is not to make profit but to keep the peace. Most people only contact HOA when they have problem or when they are the problem so their experience will be less than pleasant. HOA board are simply your neighbors. Better yet, you can get on the board yourself and have more control. I personally would rather not buy a none HOA home.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Having been in an HOA home previously, I would never buy a house that has HOA if I can help it. While the board is essentially made up of your neighbors, that does not automatically mean they have your best interest at heart, or for the neighborhood for that matter. And to make any sort of impact on the decision making, you would have to campaign and get voted on the board and add that to your list of commitments. If not, you end up arguing with neighbors who ARE on the board and making your living not so peaceful.

My HOA fees went from $90 to over $300 in a span of 5 years because the board voted to change mangement companies. The road outside my house got repaved twice in 4 years. My fence got torn down and replaced twice in 3 years. There were nothing wrong with either, in ANY of the houses that were affected. They were placed on the agenda for meeting obviously but to make my disapproval known, I would have to make time once a month and attend the meetings.

When we moved here we had our hearts set on Sunnyvale, but the prices have gone up so much that realistically we are not going to be able to afford that. I mean I see the occasional house at or just below a million but it's usually pretty rough. I also notice more and more houses being hugely expanded or replaced outright so having the cheap house is likely not best either.

I suspect South Bay in areas like Cambrian or Willow Glen is where we will look. Houses are listing there around the price point we are looking at. The commute to Goog from there will kinda suck but I think that's just the reality of it.

We originally thought to do a townhome but after dealing with the leasing company here I want nothing to do with an HOA.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I cashed out of our house in Sunnyvale last year and moved to Almaden, which is just south of Cambrian/Willow Glen. A lot more house for the money and the school district is only SLIGHTLY behind Cupertino/Sunnyvale. Traffic is much lighter around the neighborhood and much closer to the hills for hiking/biking etc.

We also looked at Cambrian/Willow Glen but the areas that feed into the better schools are smaller and inventory was low.

My wife works in LinkedIn so I understand your pain about the commute. But depending on the time, its not too bad. She can get to her office in Sunnyvale within 30mins if she times it right.

Having been in an HOA home previously, I would never buy a house that has HOA if I can help it. While the board is essentially made up of your neighbors, that does not automatically mean they have your best interest at heart, or for the neighborhood for that matter. And to make any sort of impact on the decision making, you would have to campaign and get voted on the board and add that to your list of commitments. If not, you end up arguing with neighbors who ARE on the board and making your living not so peaceful.

My HOA fees went from $90 to over $300 in a span of 5 years because the board voted to change mangement companies. The road outside my house got repaved twice in 4 years. My fence got torn down and replaced twice in 3 years. There were nothing wrong with either, in ANY of the houses that were affected. They were placed on the agenda for meeting obviously but to make my disapproval known, I would have to make time once a month and attend the meetings.

I cashed out of our house in Sunnyvale last year and moved to Almaden, which is just south of Cambrian/Willow Glen. A lot more house for the money and the school district is only SLIGHTLY behind Cupertino/Sunnyvale. Traffic is much lighter around the neighborhood and much closer to the hills for hiking/biking etc.

We also looked at Cambrian/Willow Glen but the areas that feed into the better schools are smaller and inventory was low.

My wife works in LinkedIn so I understand your pain about the commute. But depending on the time, its not too bad. She can get to her office in Sunnyvale within 30mins if she times it right.
I'm inclined to agree on the HOAs..

I haven't seen many showing up in Almaden with my search criteria. There are plenty a bit more East in Vista Park but the high school isn't too amazing.

Lol amazing how this area can make me feel poor.

I'm inclined to agree on the HOAs..

I haven't seen many showing up in Almaden with my search criteria. There are plenty a bit more East in Vista Park but the high school isn't too amazing.

Lol amazing how this area can make me feel poor.

The place I currently live in is not in an HOA. We have a house down the block that look like a cross between construction site, a homeless slum and a meth lab with all sort of nasty junks overflowing their never shut garage door. The house across the street decided BRIGHT purple would be a neat color to paint the whole house. I'm all for creative expression but when it hurt my the resell value of your biggest asset, well....

As for HoA management, I served as treasurer and my HoA fee went up by 10% over 7 years. Proper budget, insurance (important!), and constantly saying no to proposals does the trick ;p

Anyhow, hopefully you can find something that work for you in this insane housing market. Paying a little more for good school even if you don't have kid is a good idea since that will help hold your value in the upcoming downturn, which I believe is not a matter of if, but when.

The place I currently live in is not in an HOA. We have a house down the block that look like a cross between construction site, a homeless slum and a meth lab with all sort of nasty junks overflowing their never shut garage door. The house across the street decided BRIGHT purple would be a neat color to paint the whole house. I'm all for creative expression but when it hurt my the resell value of your biggest asset, well....

As for HoA management, I served as treasurer and my HoA fee went up by 10% over 7 years. Proper budget, insurance (important!), and constantly saying no to proposals does the trick ;p

Anyhow, hopefully you can find something that work for you in this insane housing market. Paying a little more for good school even if you don't have kid is a good idea since that will help hold your value in the upcoming downturn, which I believe is not a matter of if, but when.

Hm, yes, that is a valid point. I have certainly seen my share of those places, even here in Cupertino. So I can definitely see the value of more proactive management. I just shudder at the thought of someone telling me that I've hung a bird feeder up and they don't like it, etc..

I've got an 8 year old daughter, so school is definitely on our minds. I suspect in the end we'll probably opt to bite the bullet and pay for a more pricey area with better schools.

Well we are now 5 days from the move! I picked up a little 4g shop vac to do the final clean out of the 34g tank. I ended up doing a through cleaning of the sump area now in preparation and a few good water changes to get everything used to the idea of all new water...

I have two 20g brute cans (29s will likely be a bit heavy when full) and outfitted them with rolling bases and float valves so I can get them filling as one of the first tasks when we get our house. I also picked up 4 white sealing buckets from home depot to transport all the livestock.

So for now the 34g can move as-is and once we get a bit settled I can get back to the 90g, epoxying the stand, figuring out sump, etc..

There a part of me that thinks a little equipment lean-to shed on the side of the house would be nice. Just given how much mess I make when doing tank maintenance and knowing the tank will now be on carpet, makes me think keeping the big water changes outside will be nice.

Looking forward to being done with the move. My wife had surgery earlier this month so it's been a one man packing and prep job for the move. Hence my lackluster presence on here lately.

So you'll be moving on Thursday? Are you renting a moving truck or just making many trips with your own vehicles?
Yup. Thursday we get the keys so I'll be borrowing my friends Dodge Sprinter and taking over a load or two of things like outdoor furniture (light), bikes, and some things we don't want the movers to take like computers. The next day a moving company will come take the furniture and all the packed boxes. With my spine issues I can't risk doing too much heavy lifting.

I'll likely use the Sprinter to move the 34g aquarium and livestock as well.

Well the move of the 34g is partly complete. I ran into a snag in that the earthquake putty I used to prevent the tank from sliding off the stand would not come undone. So I had to move the entire tank and stand as one. That completely killed me for the evening despite having ramps and a hand truck. So the livestock go transferred to a 20g brute with a heater and pump. I was quite literally physically done, especially after 2 days of hard work moving. Today I need to get into the van and see if I can free the tank from the stand. It's just ridiculously heavy as a combination. I've also got a lot of work to clean it up and get it ready as I just didn't have the energy to do it yesterday.

I also found the "big worm" while enjoying the sand. It's literally a 4 foot long beast. Not thick and pearlescent like a eunice worm so I think it's just a bristle. I'll keep him I think.

Can't remember if you mentioned where you ended up buying. You were saying Cambrian/Willow Glen area. If you are down this way and need help setting up let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't remember if you mentioned where you ended up buying. You were saying Cambrian/Willow Glen area. If you are down this way and need help setting up let me know.

I'm in Robertsville, basically the area at the corner of 85 and Almaden.
Thanks for the offer. I got everything up and running again today. I can't see a thing right now due to the sand storm.

Well it took the better part of the day but i got the tank running again. I really hope everything makes it alright. The move was not as smooth as I thought and everything got transitioned initially to a brute can of fresh saltwater because I was so tired I was ready to pass out.

With a fresher perspective I was able to get the tank up properly though.

I cut a tarp to snug around the stand and taped it on so if anything spills it wouldn't damage the floors.

4ffe00ece2c63e10c3c3f72d728a0986.jpg

Once the dust settles I need to aquascape. I literally put everything along the bottom of the tank because visibility was zero.
d175fa0ecff1019506954fd0c0d89d25.jpg

I'm in Robertsville, basically the area at the corner of 85 and Almaden.
Thanks for the offer. I got everything up and running again today. I can't see a thing right now due to the sand storm.

Ah cool! I'm about 10mins south from you. Around Castillero middle school.

And I'm probably 10 mins from you in the other direction. A couple exits down 85 at Blossom Hill and Snell.

It's good to have another Reefer so close.
Nice! Glad to hear it! Likewise if you ever need a hand let me know.

Alright topoff water is filled and a 20g brute is filled and ready to make salt water for my first change.

For now the rodi is just sitting outside at the side of the house. Love how accessible it is without being rammed under the kitchen sink. I'm going to build an insulated plywood box and keep the unit outside, and just run a line through the wall for the kitchen sink tap and fridge ice maker.

Already found a good place for the 90g tank in the house too.

Make sure it is not in sunlight. If it sits too long stagnant, algae will grow in it if you have to common transparent cyclinders. Ask me how I know! :)

Make sure it is not in sunlight. If it sits too long stagnant, algae will grow in it if you have to common transparent cyclinders. Ask me how I know! :)

Haha, sounds like my experience with my translucent buckets I was using on my patio before.

The side of the house is well shaded by a kiwi tree that has gone insane-wild and the neighboring house. So should be good. :) Guess I'll find out soon enough though!

Well, slowly things are starting to return back to normal and we're settling into our house.
I decided to put the RO/DI system outside at the side of the house. I built a cabinet to hold all the parts and keep it warm/cool/dry/out of the sun.
5iC_lUSktwAnidUuXQqnRubRWYcbr_NFljcwVlGCw3BL8hnoC1OX8fmLHC-RN6nFj-7HhlpsP1Nt5eUwhr_zIBJskFwllKatRrrEwQ1B13bTZ8npTpxJ4FvDvIGWzpfNTM-HtADKECzMd9mf98ogkIMku3SyhjKKyCnWQ1BTZ6YAgZubU_PoTMTbXoYUo1qjvw47VR5UsQoyKDU0XyQl1dIdY8FtPwZFayZ8FfgK2y3hQd8w4owl7BUeLC5tdv-FWuyWKj9AyTgOW3occXCIoqLDzUGBBNuc6hjeSrPe784M1cdwdyXcBHc9T4_IbEeW3tMPJghxmYbB7Wix0EAmwIcPvpf3kdaMBh2wFaPN1zbWkQBecs9z-CZBLEWZp0iMa4AYBgfVmQiqdFV6Jb_UD8CGXT9BnKeUVRe4_eobjh81MrMZaCYH-MX6YrVC9w5RJzBf53Fm2juEJ4Qy7rdVDyK49Uz2A0f0ZtUu4GHIj4qvFqTl70stXAVajw5rUfGjRRlB3ohx44i17-yv2id-8e2P__BFZLYU7LPcW_X0S5twunJiHJje8q2ct2qI_CzQS1fqbVQzAz0d1P5TODerwvDww4CprCAC=w919-h682-no

I still need to mount all the RO/DI canisters and whatnot onto the side of the cabinet. However, as is typical I ran out of the one size of screws I need to do that. So that's a project for another day.
CGA_O5CATP-_vgnSvkVGF-tQ95P2TCOuRnzvWccUhZp88yVY_3qsxtjkl9i_xhp4Ysb91EFDRVClcW9fgYcAv4deCPj_3Fr4BcHjc-YYqI1UK12symKgmMr22dVLxaHPBRK_3GqpTc6CW3F61MWOh0CEGKmlIUGGOqmD_Dl_ddhg66hzbG-auFrjsrfsbIPqziPZTFm3z8SheARqU90SmOs6CtlYbONyfinwueS_5lgmPS4G73v62h3BN47tTlbsX2QQqBL8q3bxSfYCnCQ2ZYJL8-eSYvsO12BXkxTkmSRug0ytRFVDcrpOvJhLDg-VzqWMtvmXecn8TX73NjMdogP0Vc-DTnpIqJmwttHe_5CH-0F0-_aTq-NmAq__rp3WGS86gkaSbFysfYsXnWjTd9YZdfp0I1GCCzbZ9Gk2oPh0voYbT2flgNpneAiT3O3FjZ4J-VaKkY7VjsZzCzNT2bz6EDyiEKBi2PNzXn_S6STrosmA804jgeJ27H005XnEiyl88F_rAbtIbriTS2iPLen7K1ge2HAQjg_ZP575I5wsKNx0wUr2j2BT4USKQR5YXtykQ31Tunq-0vHAYp8w6NGl3PgF6Bye=w507-h682-no

I drilled a hole through the exterior wall of the house and ran a RO line under the kitchen counter and connected it to the existing "filtered water spigot" at the sink, which was nothing more than an overpriced carbon block. I still need to figure out where the water for the fridge icemaker comes from; it will definitely be sourced from the RO/DI system going forward. :)

Back