Reef nutrition

The 225 Gal Monster

Welp I was supposed to get it running today. I'm still getting water delivered and will just run power heads to circulate in the display for now but my sump has a leak that I was not able to see until I filled it with water. Lesson learned. Leak check outside first next time. I just assumed it would've been fine since it was marked as A grade brs open box.

Good news is my shower tub liner got tested and holds water and with the way I designed the plumbing, it only took a few minutes to pull the sump.

20221208_143216.jpg
20221208_143221.jpg
20221208_143804.jpg

Attachments

• 20221208_144145.jpg
    20221208_144145.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 67
Update. Found the leak. It's in the back bottom corner if chamber 2. Got it welded up with Weld-on 4 and on my way to tap plastic to pick up some acrylic extruded corner bar to reinforce it.

One thing I learned from making my own sump, ( leaks everywhere ) After you cure the leak, test for water hold, also run a pump that you are going to use, the vibration will introduce more issues that you will see down the road. So get it sorted when you test with the pump in first place. Ask me how messy it was after I fix the leak 4 times :)

One thing I learned from making my own sump, ( leaks everywhere ) After you cure the leak, test for water hold, also run a pump that you are going to use, the vibration will introduce more issues that you will see down the road. So get it sorted when you test with the pump in first place. Ask me how messy it was after I fix the leak 4 times :)
I think I should have this leak fixed pretty good. Waiting 48hrs for cure time then will give it another go. All other spots and seams were closely inspected and should be fine. This was an obvious crack that I probably would've noticed if I paid closer attention.

20221208_175018.jpg

Thanks @Coral reefer for coming and filling up my display! Got salt mixing! Running a Nero 5 and a Jebao OW-40 for now. The other XR15 is waiting for fan replacement and diffuser to come in.

20221208_193914.jpg

I suggest 7 x mp40 on the back wall!
Not that that’s how I did it or anything…
I'm debating between MP40s eventually or gyres (mainly because I've never used gyres before) but I do like being able to hide the MP40s along the back wall to keep things looming clean.

Or just get one of these :cool:

Get the ECM 42 for half the price of the 63. More than enough for a 6’ tank!

Uhm...this is supposed to be budget build guys! Lol. You'd be suprised that the most expensive thing I've spent on is probably PVC and fittings (Aside from the tank and stand itself which was an awesome deal).

This OW 40 moves a ton of water but it's also super loud and you can hear the hum very loud in the entire room (not sure if they're all like this or if that's because it's old)
Don’t get gyres then. They are loud and need cleaning a lot. My sow are pretty quite. But not silent. But I’m old school. Fish tanks make noise. Unless you’re super picky and spend a lot of time making them silent. Which isn’t impossible but extremely difficult.

Got my drain plumbing all cemented together. My return nozzles come in tomorrow so I can test fit and make sure I have enough clearance to easily screw them in/out as needed then I'll finish up the rest of the return plumbing. I've positioned unions so everything can come apart and only the bulk head pieces in the overflow boxes of the tank would have to be re-made if/when this tank gets moved/passed on. The left gate valve is positioned that way so once that union is undone, you can loosen the bulkhead and rotate it so that piece can be pulled up out of the sump and clear the framing above it. I was originally going to angle it forward like the other one for easy access until I realize there was no way it would fit when installing/uninstalling unless I notched the framing in the stand.

If work doesn't kick my butt this week I should finally be ready for water within the next few days!
View attachment 43528
Hey, curious where you purchased you 1" gate valves? Have not been able to find the type you have in this picture online, just the more pricy spears type.

Hey, curious where you purchased you 1" gate valves? Have not been able to find the type you have in this picture online, just the more pricy spears type.
These are 1.5in gate valves. I haven't seen the 1in ones in stores for awhile now and I had a hard time finding 1.5in slip fits online. I wonder if this line is discontinued or just hit by the world wide everything shortage.

Sump is back in and we're running! I need to make taller standpipes for my main drain as my sump can't hold all the water that siphons down when flow is off at the moment.

Sand is 80lbs fiji pink and 40lbs aragonite. I'll be adding some of my old sand one my other tank is cleared off all inhabitants and after a light vacuum.

Got about half my rock scape in. The other half will be from my 45gal hopefully later today. Got a bunch of live rock in the fuge chamber for now too.

20221210_133440.jpg

20221210_133450.jpg

I've been running the sump water level high and wet skimming into the bucket to accelerate the clearing up of the water because I'm not patient...lol

20221210_135202.jpg

20221210_135422.jpg

Back