Jestersix

The "Legend" of TubeRider's Looong Journey.

tuberider said:
jellygeee said:
Wow, the tank is amazing.
Is the bookcase /stand all part of one big furniture? I mean, it if is not leveled, wouldn't it create stress on the tank?
Will be interesting to see how the sump works.

We put a few cardboard shims here and there, the bookshelf is from Ikea so it should hold up.

lol.

So what are the stocking plans? or do you want to keep that a secret still?

Erick said:
tuberider said:
jellygeee said:
Wow, the tank is amazing.
Is the bookcase /stand all part of one big furniture? I mean, it if is not leveled, wouldn't it create stress on the tank?
Will be interesting to see how the sump works.

We put a few cardboard shims here and there, the bookshelf is from Ikea so it should hold up.

lol.

So what are the stocking plans? or do you want to keep that a secret still?

No secrets really, it's not a TOTM wall of coral type thing, it is an architectural tank that is designed to blend into the room/home, not a focal point. Simplicity is the key, non-obstruction and view through areas are critical. The most challenging thing is to get fish that behave normally in a narrow sparse environment, you cannot have skittish fish.

That's like opposite town right there. A super large fish tank that is not the focal point of a room :) Don't look at the elephant over there it's supposed to blend in and look natural. Is the customer going to be doing any upkeep on the tank? like feeding? Do you have any fish in mind? are you going for softies or fowlr?

True Jeremy, you need to not think of the tank so much as 260g tank but as a series of smaller tanks in one long line. I have an old 55g tank that's 4 feet long, but it's only like 12 inches wide, I think that tank would be fun with smaller fish that are more communal and might stick to one particular 2-3 foot section at a time. However to be viewable from both sides? Man I don't envy your job working on it, especially if you want said communal fish to feel like they have "their part" of the reef, however I do anticipate your choices and how you'll do it, o' Jedi Master of the Reefs ;)

Who said anything about reef?

goldfish.jpg

:D

Ooooh, G fish! Actually I found fancy goldfish more challenging then a reef! Those things get infected if you dont change water like discus =O
This project has almost been caught up w the thread! Now, the canopy arghhhhhhhh. Think anodized aluminum heat sink vertical doors w overhanging front and bk.

Episode IV After a restful sabbatical, the journey is on...
Its been a 6 month sabbatical, but Tubey's crew is once again on the move.

Concept, AlumaLid.
Low profile, heat sink lid that moves out of the way in order to scrub the life box.

5052 --3/16" aluminum sheet
Original idea was to assemble with taps and stainless steel screws/ epoxy.
The shop does not weld aluminum, steel and stainless only.
This was an obstacle that took way too long, sorry LordHelmet I torchered you!

Part II Metallurgy
Prior to assembly, a local metallurgist was contacted to make the alumalid a non oxidizing piece.
After the anodizing process, the table had to be extended for some seriously long assembly.
Jeff's crazy ideas!

A groove was milled (routed) out of the top and back in order to hide the piano hinge.

Ahhhg finally at this stage.

After assembly comes the idea of oxidation. The most common anodes to get are zinc from West Marine boat store, they've got all types of style to choose from. Then comes the paint, a toyota paint color was chosen. Dupont acrylic enamel shot on. expensive but sandable and polished to a shine.

The masked areas are for led light mounting, Tried to keep the area clean for the most heat sink action.

Gimmito's quarantine(Pos) in the background =) hehe! Thanks for the work!

sfsuphysics said:
Aren't you the acrylic guy? What are you doing with all this aluminum and painting and stuff! :D

Hey, that's why I was so happy with my tank. :)
Not too many 8 foot long nearly rimless tanks out there.
He did it with a stainless steel brace around the top.
Not something an acrylic-only guy can do.

Back