High Tide Aquatics

Things I like about my LFS

cwolfus

Past President
So Jeremy started a topic among the BOD about cool vendors which got me thinking. I really like my LFS, but only occasionally get a chance to visit others. It sure would be nice to read about the good ones and what people like. Plus, it is a great way to take credit for Jeremy's good idea!

So let me start this off...

My LFS is OTA (Ocean Treasures Aquarium) in SF.

The store has the nicest layout I've seen for a store in the city. There are 3 big open top tanks full of corals. They focus on providing a bunch of captive prop and usually have a few nice ORA pieces. More than 50% of the store is sw, which seems unusual and is great for me. They also get some very nice fish in regularly and are happy to order anything I'm looking for.

I like all the staff, but I recommend you ask for Derek. He is the most knowledgeable and has a very good understanding of both fish and corals. He's also friendly, mellow, and appreciates that different customers need different levels of care.

Since I haven't yet purchased a DI system, I buy water from them. It is conveniently located right next to the door and is easy and fast to use.

Because they support captive prop they have always been generous with providing rubble and giving me credit for frags. Occasionally, they gently suggest that I need to bring in more! ;)

Now it's your turn. Tell us what you like about your LFS.

C

My LFS is Lucky Ocean in SF

I bought my 58g tank upon recommendation from fellow reefers - also the first time I had ever been in that store.

It's a good store for general goods for the most part. A third of the store is dedicated to marine fish, live rock, inverts, and some corals. A nice place for beginners to start - conversation and help are free flowing and easy.

The advice from the owner and employees are pretty solid, no intense pressure so feel free to go window shopping. It is a small store so be mindful as other fellow enthusiasts come in :D

Parking close by is not an always easy, but if you're willing to walk a block or so it's not too bad.

Cheers to Lucky Ocean as well.

My first time in LO was almost 4 years ago for my first reef, 50 gallon at the time. As Eileen stated I agree that the Owner and employees were super helpful and always willing to take the time without pressure to buy. Great prices and great service.

Steve at LO is a cool guy, the setup I am currently working on (300g reef) was purchased through him by guys who have no idea what's going on. Everything he sold them had a purpose, he did not sell my customers (before I was involved with the job) anything they didn't need. They have quite a bit of money, he knew it, and yet didn't take advantage of them. That is a good business person.

I shop at quite a few stores depending on where I'm at and what I need, that is a daily basis issue. I tend to not beat stores up on price, and want to support retailers that buy from good sources and have easy parking for in and out (I'm working). Another very important thing to me is longevity, if you want to establish a relationship with a LFS then it takes time, you want them to be around for a while and your $$$ to go to help them raise their family, and improve their business, not to give them your $$$ and subsidize an unrealistic business plan. That said the majority of my money goes to

1. Aquatic Central, Chris is honest as they come, understands business and isn't afraid to engage in a contentious discussion regarding to the ethics of handling livestock, and the cut throat nature of the LFS.

2. Ultimate Aquarium, location, location, location... Plus, they've come a long way and don't have a competitive vibe, we share business and are very mellow when it comes to service. They have been in business for a while and both owners grew up in the business like myself and we can laugh about what we did in the past, while moving forward and evolving with the industry.

3. Atlantis, Do I need to say anything other than I wish Ming's business was right next door to me? The best store in the Bay Area, it's just a little too far away from me to go all the time. I'd put it as #1, but I can't get there all of the time.

I go to Aquarium concepts (only place near me lol). In general, I like the place. Big. Lots of equipment and lots of coral selection. In fact, they have one of the largest coral display sections I've run into. Most of the stuff isn't that "rare" but you do find some good gems from time to time. My one beef is that it is sometimes really hard to get to get help. Big store and they often get tied up. I've stood waiting for help with no one near (avaible) for a fairly long time. There is one girl there (I'll have to catch her name next time) who always seems to be on the ball to help people if she is anywhere in sight.

And like Jeremy, I wish Atlantis was next door.

I have 2 main stores that I go to.
1. Concord Aquarium. They have great customer service, and great prices. Unfortunately they do not have a very large selection of salt water fish or corals. How ever they will try to order you what you are looking for, and what they do have are healthy and well priced.
2. All About Fish. A good selection of fish and corals that are healthy and well cared for. They have a knowledgeable staff that is eager to help. Another great bonus is on every Sunday they discount all livestock in the store.

dude. where IS OT in SF??? i went there WITH my GPS and i still couldnt find the place!!! is it like.. HIDDEN? haha ive been trying to find the place for over a year.. LOL

They like to keep it quiet so only the hard core reefers can find it. ;)

It's the blue 2 story building on the south side of the street next to the small parking lot.

Well half of your problem is trusting a GPS to actually tell you where to go :D

It can be a bit difficult to find via a GPS however due to the way the overpass runs near it.

I really like Dolphin Pet Village in Campbell. Tyler is always very pleasant and has so much knowledge to share. They do a good job of bringing a good variety of fish, and usually have interesting new corals as well. I love their coral tanks (shallow, with a good overhead and side view).

East Bay Stores

Aquarium Concepts in Dublin. Clean, big store, lots of corals and fish to choose from. Friendly and knowledgable staff, they are honest and prices are just about right. I agree that sometimes it can be hard to find someone because they can get busy. This is my store of choice.

Atlantis in Union City, yeah they have a nice selection of frags and cheap invertebraes, but I feel very sorry for the fish, they are in extremely small and dirty tanks (a large tang in a dirty 2 gallon for example)

Concord Aquarium, good for freshwater, not so much for saltwater.

Wet Pets in Pleasanton, another mom and pop shop similiar to Concord Aquarium, but with a little bit more saltwater variety.

Amazon Aquarium in Alameda- Bleh! dont go here, i have never seen poor tank conditions anywhere in the bay area. They have a crusty scaled, cloudy eye tang that obviously had been there for days that I thought was dead and it managed to flip his fin begging me to put him out of his misery.

Connie's Tropical Fish in Castro Valley-Not much for corals, but they do have some cool fish. Kinda pricey though.

All About Fish in Concord- Big store, huge selection of tanks and furniture, as well as coral and fish. I have the feeling this place was a little scandelous, neither of the two mexican teenagers bothered to help me even though i was the only one there and a lot of the fish had parasites. Plus the Arowana tank in the back was way too crowded, that pissed me off, poor fish. I probably wont go back here.

Albany Aquarium has very knowledgable staff. I was so impressed with them and the well cared for livestock and plants. Jim is fantastic and the one responsible for directing me to BAR. He also gave me a bunch of his magazines which I read and refer to. They have a small salt water section, but I think everything is tank propagated. Very Admirable.

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=5058.msg63841#msg63841 date=1226564140]
Albany Aquarium has very knowledgable staff. I was so impressed with them and the well cared for livestock and plants. Jim is fantastic and the one responsible for directing me to BAR. He also gave me a bunch of his magazines which I read and refer to. They have a small salt water section, but I think everything is tank propagated. Very Admirable.
[/quote]

i'll have to check it out sometime.

Back