Neptune Aquatics

Tiny bubbles and I don't mean Don Ho

Bula

So I am new to the club and here is my first question to the group.

I have 60 gallon reef tank with a center Mega Flow with one return. I have a simple sump system with a Mag Pump. I have noticed lately that tiny bubbles are coming out of the return. My sump has plenty of water so the pump is sucking up air. It is affecting my corals and my sanity. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

John

Recently the same thing has been happening to me -- even after I fill up the tank to the max with water. I found that my filter pads and filter materials in my sump had been clogged with scum and debris, so I cleaned my filter pads and materials and the sump had enough water to not suck up air any more. That is the only thing that has caused mine to do the same thing other than a low water level. Hope that helps! :D

I will look at that option. I try to clean the foam that protects the pumps water intake every two weeks but it is worth a try.

How much is your pump pushing, if you have water flying through the system too fast that can very easily get bubbles to the pump to be chopped up and throwing into the main tank as micro bubbles.

I do have Remora skimmer that hangs in the back but it does not appear to be the source. When I look at the return from the sump it seems to be coming out of the return.

I put a sock where the water returns to sump but I don't have a baffle.

Thanks Mike and all who have responded thus far.

I believe I have a Mag 7 and it is going full tilt. It has to push the water back up about 4.5 feet. Is that too much too fast?

As a side question, what ills can micro bubbles do to your reef systems?

John

My eheim makes a loud shrieking noise when it sucks in air, so I hate it when it does that. I notice a lot more salt creep around when I have a lot of micro bubbles in addition to salt spray on my light. I think the bubbles can also irritate some corals.

Back