Jestersix

To sock or not to sock?

That is the question. Please list the Advantages and Disadvantages you think are relevant? Here is what I know:

For example:
Advantage:
Removes detritus
Disadvantage
:
have to clean out sock regularly. Since the detritus will turn into nitrates.

Any others you've seen experienced? Thanks.

Advantage:
Removes microbubbles in sump and from main tank = nice clear water
Disadvantage:
pretty much detritus build up and nitrates if not frequently cleaning/changing.

- There are a few posts online for DIY filter socks that costs about 10-20 cents each, so you can practically just toss them, or clean them if you like. Pretty much just 100% Polyester Felt from the fabric store, and sewing or gluing the seams together.

I may go that route if the microbubbles bother me after my tank is done cycling and fully established. Otherwise, I would need to decrease the flow of the return pump/drain/flow through sump.

I haven't had enough time and experience to know if skimmer alone should clear out most of the detritus.

So main advantage in my eyes is microbubbles.

Just had either an epiphany or a brain fart:..likely a fart.

We say socks are bad because they collect detritus and can be nitrate sources...but if you don't run a sock, that same detritus stays in the tank and just becomes a nitrate source in another location. What am I missing?

You could argue that not everything a sock catches becomes nitrate--some of what it's catching is feeding your corals, so some of that is converted into coral mass. Also, some of it would be caught and removed (rather than trapped) by a skimmer.

I find I need them on some tanks and not on others. It depends on so many factors. Generally if I see detritus starting to settle in places or the sand is extra mucky I'll throw it on and storm the tank. If you want to just get rid of microbubbles, buy a 500 or 1000 micron monofilament (rather than nylon) filter sock. It is almost like pantyhose. Doesn't catch much of anything but it does contain the splashing and microbubbles.

Matt_Wandell said:
You could argue that not everything a sock catches becomes nitrate--some of what it's catching is feeding your corals, so some of that is converted into coral mass. Also, some of it would be caught and removed (rather than trapped) by a skimmer.

I find I need them on some tanks and not on others. It depends on so many factors. Generally if I see detritus starting to settle in places or the sand is extra mucky I'll throw it on and storm the tank. If you want to just get rid of microbubbles, buy a 500 or 1000 micron monofilament (rather than nylon) filter sock. It is almost like pantyhose. Doesn't catch much of anything but it does contain the splashing and microbubbles.

I did notice lots of copepods in the socks too. If I am not in a hurry I do take the time and put them back into the tank or target feed some of my corals. This I see as a big disadvantage. But I was told copepods will reproduce if the tanks is in good health.

Also in regards to the rest of the detritus, my understanding is that the skimmer would pick most of that stuff up. Especially since it is very close to where the water drains into the sump. Is it not true?

About the microbubbles issue, I have found that my newly added and growing Chaeto floats at the top and blocks a lot of the bigger bubbles that would have become microbubbles cascading into the return area.

I use the sock when I'm changing water and storming the tank with the siphon, ridding deitrus, bubble algae, etc that's floating around everywhere. I find it clears the water a little but overall is a pain to use regularly due to having to change and wash them.

So I don't have a sump...
that said I toss in an MJ with some tubing and a sock in the tank when I'm doing my monthly algae cleaning, intense glass scraping, turkey baster the rocks etc. Between doing that and careful siphoning when doing water changes I think I've gotten the detritus under control.

Back