Neptune Aquatics

Toadstool - ok or has issues?

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
I know these are typically easy to care for, and I a) like them and b) they seem quite helpful for the new tank startup.

I inherited this rather large specimen, and it seemed to be doing well (the other two in the tank are doing very well). However, it did get these white patches. Is this shedding or problems from an immature tank (alkalinity has been super low, 5.9, and I am continously increasing this now)?

IMG_6236.jpeg

Leave it be. It’ll be alright, it looks fine. Toadstools are pretty much bulletproof. Sometimes you will get one that slowly melts away, but you can definitely tell a melting one and a closed up one.

Another Toadstool issue. I have four Toadstools, three are doing very well, including all other corals in the tank, but this one seems to be turning brown. Should I dip it? Or just leave it alone?

IMG_1403.jpeg

How long has it been like that ? They molt and shed their top layer sometimes.
I would say 3-4 days. And yes, this and the others are doing this constantly. There seem to be also now a few tiny babies across the tank, which we noticed today. I think I have just not seen them turning brown.

Looks like it's in a low flow area. My toadstools loves getting blasted with flow. It helps blow off the waxy layer when they are shedding.
In fact, I think this is the issue. I had to replace the MP40 wetside (strange issue not working properly during feedmode, and was brand new) which was targeting this toadstool, and it went through a low flow break in period, which is almost over.

Sometimes large toadstools that get dragged will start dragging them selves. I have noticed that with larger toadstools, once you cut it, it irritates it, and then they start separating and dropping off self made frags. I think that’s what those white patches are. Let it be and do its thing, pass along babies to supporting members

Sometimes large toadstools that get dragged will start dragging them selves. I have noticed that with larger toadstools, once you cut it, it irritates it, and then they start separating and dropping off self made frags. I think that’s what those white patches are. Let it be and do its thing, pass along babies to supporting members
So the large toadstool on the first picture of this thread is super happy now. I was referring to the smaller brownish one in the most recent picture yesterday. And yes, I did find one baby today. And those will be passed on eventually. And I need these yellow ones from Fiji….:).

My leathers are always so finicky too. I just let them be and they eventually open back up. Only time you have to worry is if the crown or stalk starts to disintegrate. Here are some of my Fiji Yellow leathers and weeping willows. Been trying to blast the FYL with white light to make them bright yellow. Under blue LEDs they turn brown.
IMG_8195.jpeg

Back