Neptune Aquatics

Toying around with getting a guitar

I need another hobby like I need another hole in the head ::)

Somewhat inspired by a friend who got back into his childhood love of guitar playing, and was thinking of trying it myself.

Do it! I've never lost my love for making music. If your looking for an acoustic, try and find a decent solid top guitar, and spend some money to have a luthier set it up properly. The setup is super important and can make a decent guitar real good.

If you know what you are looking for you can get great deals at the pawn shops in SF. I picked up a beautiful Hagstrom bass in highschool that was a true steal. I definitely suggest grabbing a guitar, every house should have one.

I say go for it, what do you have to lose... it's jut money right :) The only bad thing about guitars is I have trouble keeping fish alive in them???? :D

LOL - Since I'm just starting out

I'll probably be getting this one http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jasmine-by-Takamine-S34C-NEX-Cutaway-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516458

After living with multiple bands, guitar is now a 4 letter word to me (mainly wired though) :( I like hearing them played, but not in my own home :) I prefer 8 strings (listening wise) :D

Are you going to take lessons? Or try to learn on your own? My wife gave me a nice guitar for Christmas a few years ago, I havent' found the time to learn it yet! (14 years of piano lessons makes me pretty good at music reading though :p )

V

A few tips from a long time guitar player:

Good hand/finger positioning is key when you start playing, make sure you get a book or even take just a few lessons to get a feel for it before you develop any bad playing habits. :)

On your non-strumming hand, keep your thumb flat, wrist arched and fingers arched just about all the time, don't let your finger tips collapse on the fret board. It's going to feel really awkward at first but you really want to develop good hand positioning from the get go.

Always wash your hand before playing, strings are a magnet for everything on your hands.

Have fun and try not to get to frustrated.... Actually, when you get frustrated flick the switch to distortion on your amp, drop low E to D and go nuts, you'll feel better. :p

[quote author=northbay-reefer link=topic=4425.msg62255#msg62255 date=1225749999]
RAddogz, get online power tabs, its the best way to learn guitar
[/quote]

Tom! How the heck are you stranger?

The only downfall when it comes to tab is when you start playing with other people. In all of my years of playing, I've never had anyone plunk tab down in front of me and say here's the tune, even in informal settings just goofing around. Sure you learn things pretty quick especially if you are visual spacial, but it makes adapting difficult.

Not that it's bad, it's good to learn chord charts too.

Tabs seems like a good idea, but it still seems like cheating to me (okay maybe I'm just a purist at heart). In the end, if I cave in learning maybe I will resort to learning tabs.

The strings were a little corroded when I first got, and I'll probably put new strings on it soon.

[quote author=badbread link=topic=4425.msg62377#msg62377 date=1225819464]
I have a really hard time with sheet music on guitar, piano no problemo, guitar 100x harder. (Sheet music wise that is)
[/quote]

The same note appears on different parts of the neck it's a PITA, that's why most pros use chord charts and voice the chord in their own way, esp. jazz guitarists.

Back