Our mission

U-Verse

eastbayreefer2010 said:
Uverse is alot better/cheaper than comcast that is for sure, I have had great experience with Uverse, but now Im in martinez im stuck with Comcast :(

Uverse is mostly fiber all the way upto your house, then to copper.
Comcast is fiber to a hub and then copper to you and your neighborhood.

Uverse can offer much better bandwidth for cheaper prices and you can pay your bill at 25+ stores vs comcast and the huge lines just to pay your bill.

It never hurts to try the service, it is no contract, you don't like it, cancel it.

You should know this is VERY location dependent, At my house my uverse was so slow I literally couldn't watch videos from youtube, with comcast I could watch 20 at a time, it really depends on the age of the lines in your area, where I live theres NO FIBER, as in zero

That's very true, while working for Comcast, everything is about a clean signal; wiring has a big impact on the quality of the service being delivered. Comcast worry was at one point the teamed up ATT/DirectTV alternative until Uverse started.
IPTV needs good up/download speed and ATT still needs to get some areas to support the "new" services.
I recall servicing few homes of ATT employees installing Comcast HSD (High Speed Data) because ATT had none or poor, very poor "HSD" over their own network.
Most of the homes in the bay area are not ready for such services, certain that you receive huge amounts of data over ancient copper copper/clad steel wiring and get away with it but as more and more is offered, that wire will need to be replaced, as proof of it complaints of poor picture quality, slow download speeds, bad, really bad HD, pixelation.
A lot of the time customers (technicians too) don't get it, the cable is bad already, does not support the frequencies the offered services require therefor the need to replace it which is expensive if you want it done in a proper and professional way.
I had, and not sorry to say it PITA people demanding to have their house rewired by Comcast because they were not getting what they subscribed for, but hey, Comcast sells you the signal up to the point of entry, then there's the equipment issue if you have a bad line they re-wire but is done in a really basic way, no fancy wall fishing, ugly black cable outside or little better under the house hole on the floor; no attics by rule of "liability"

I always wondered why Comcast didn't do a better job with the wiring :D

Well, think some areas/systems still do some wall fishing but liability is a great issue so the easiest possible way and the less time consuming; remember techs are hourly on Comcast pay roll so have them out ASAP and on to the next job.
Maybe still the same price, don't know; but a new cable outlet was less than $20 for the first one and about $14 for each additional on the same trip so honestly, $20 buys the customer basically an ugly black cable. Parts used by techs should run at least $20 if the customer was to purchase and do it by him/herself plus cable is sold by the foot. For Comcast and other cable/sat providers is pocket change that will render a big chunk of the wallet in the long run.
ATT has a different way to run lines but they charge a pretty penny. Recently I had issues with my phone line, Comcast tech disconnected by mistake my line and Comcast would not assume liability since my unit was not the one serviced; ATT wanted to charge me $80 initially plus whatever time after the half hour !!!
I can do the wiring myself but needed access so when a Comcast tech showed up (one of my buddies) to service the trouble call for the unit they were supposed to have worked on (not mine) he gave me access and corrected the mistake myself, a little wire disconnected, instead of number 6, tech disconnected number 3...
Moral of the story you get what you pay for...
Astound bought bankrupted RCN but would require such a huge investment to compete with Comcast; Colma gets free basic cable and San Bruno is the target for Comcast, they want to own the peninsula.
I worked many houses that were recently remodeled, updated everything but guess what, they did not wire them for cable/sat or network.
Some new homes feature both connections, satellite and cable, separate lines from the point of entry,; even better some, very few have in the master bedroom normally a centralized communication (forgot the name) box; phone, LAN, alarm, sat, cable, cctv; all in one place SWEET just tone the lines, place connectors, whatever and just about everything works !!!
I remember a house in Brisbane; brand new complex, FREE plasma TV's in the living room !!! I connected everything, labeled, toned, terminated and what not but the electricians forgot to run a power line, can you believe it? the guy was furious !!!!

The thing with all these mega corporations doing your internet is you really can have different levels of quality for the same exact product, half of it is because they often sub-contract out either the work to install it or some ISP that they bought that had existing ground work. As mentioned my AT&T started as Pacbell, when they installed the DSL line oh so many years ago they had some fresh out of college kid who was a computer guy but they trained to do wiring and holy christ he took forever (literally 3+ hour job), granted it worked, but still, then some time later i had to get it redone to the house, guy was in and out in about 20 minutes

Geez Mike when did you first get DSL? Didn't PacBell turn into SBCglobal in like 1997.... no wait, that's just when they acquired PacBell. I remember the conversion in like late 00 or early 01.

Geez Mike when did you first get DSL? Didn't PacBell turn into SBCglobal in like 1997.... no wait, that's just when they acquired PacBell. I remember the conversion in like late 00 or early 01.

I got it a LONG time ago... when the price point went from $90/month to $50/month for a 1.5M/384k line. I wish I could tell you the year, but I can't.

I think it might have been SBC owned at the time, but they kept with the local name for a while, until it went to IIRC SBC Pacbell, then SBC, then AT&T.

Oh yeah another bad thing I hate about the company, even though the price of a product drops, and I'm not talking the introductory rate either, or a contracted rate, I mean THE price, they continue to charge you at the old rate until you raise a stink. Wouldn't surprise me if there are still little old ladies across the country being charged a rental fee for their telephone.

:lol: I returned one of those rental phones a long time ago and the people at the counter had never seen one, yet we were getting billed for it still :lol:

Same practice on Comcast, even that old cable boxes/de-scramblers? don't work anymore, if you still have one they might be charging you for that !! Subcontracting is bad, recently Comcast subcontracted something over to Philippines !!! just like Microsoft... call the 800 number and someone else in a way different time zone answers the phone.

Back