Neptune Aquatics

Upgrading tanks

patchin

Supporting Member
I'm planning on upgrading to an as of yet unpurchased larger tank. At the same time we will change the flooring in the same area. From you guys' experience, what would be the logical way to do this? Thanks for your advise. Let me know if you need more details.
Steve

Logical way to do what?

You mean purchase tank before floor? or vice versa? Depending how large your tank is going to be, and how much of a show piece it'll be you might want to buy the tank first, then design your room around the tank that you bought. It'll save a lot of headaches, as well as your pocket book, from having to get too much custom work done.

I was trying to figure out the best way to move things around that would cause the least strain on the animals and be easiest. Would you move everything into a large Rubbermaid for a few days while the floor is being done, then set up the new tank when the floor is ready? Would you separate your corals and fish in one tub and rock in another tub in another room? Sounds fairly logical to me. What do you think?

Ahh gotcha.

Yeah definitely set up a rubbermaid or two, along with powerheads, heaters, and a skimmer, you can probably forgo the lights, but just have something setup so they feel safe, then when setting the new tank up I'd use the old water to first just to make sure the chemistry isn't too much out of whack when you add fresh salt.

Back