Neptune Aquatics

Vincent's 1st Big Tank

I can help with the overcrowding as I think I see a bare spot ;)

20170803_231935.jpg

I don't know. I hardly look in that tank. It's been on auto pilot for a quite a few months. Just dose what it needs. All 4 panes are encrusted in coralline so only way to look is from the top and with the surface agitation, its hard to make out details. Which was why I was pleasantly surprised by the growth when I looked through a viewer a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some new additions.

ASD Raimbow milli

4010b67a6ec3ef75324bef2cd06d84d8.jpg

JRK Inferno milli

e21908182625313b8c8bd5e4529d2f86.jpg

TCN Aqua Blue milli

28ea814fb38a86603e6dbe1e0efaf40c.jpg

And I'm so happy my CBB is eating frozen!

Nice new sticks and congrats on getting that CBB over to frozen. I'm still waiting for mine to look at aiptasia the same way that it does with PE mysis.

The 190 has been a mess lately. I have a breakout of bryopsis and that really stifled a bunch of stuff.

Decided to try Fluconozle (sp?) to combat it and it definitely works! All my bryopsis is gone, I will be going over with a brush to try and get the last little bits of root out if I can.

The unfortunate side effect is a high level of nitrate and phosphate from the die off. This had the expected effect on corals, I did loose a bunch. The most of the stuff is just tester stuff so nothing major but I did loose some new additions. Because they are frags, there was no warning. All good in the morning, white skeleton when I return.

The really unfortunate thing is my fish found the water to be less than comfortable. Quite a few tried to fly over to the other tank where the water looked better. :(

Been procrastinating on building a cover. Some of it is because I really don't like the look of a cover.

The 190 has been a mess lately. I have a breakout of bryopsis and that really stifled a bunch of stuff.

Decided to try Fluconozle (sp?) to combat it and it definitely works! All my bryopsis is gone, I will be going over with a brush to try and get the last little bits of root out if I can.

The unfortunate side effect is a high level of nitrate and phosphate from the die off. This had the expected effect on corals, I did loose a bunch. The most of the stuff is just tester stuff so nothing major but I did loose some new additions. Because they are frags, there was no warning. All good in the morning, white skeleton when I return.

The really unfortunate thing is my fish found the water to be less than comfortable. Quite a few tried to fly over to the other tank where the water looked better. :(

Been procrastinating on building a cover. Some of it is because I really don't like the look of a cover.
I’m right there with you about the cover. I’ve had mine off the last couple weeks just crossing my fingers.

Condolences on the fish jerkies. I too resisted having cover for as long as I could. But after losing my trigger that was the breaking point for me. Took me 2 hrs to make the BRS kit one.

sorry about the flucanozole issues. The stuff does work very well. Sorted out my problems in about a week. Luckily there wasn't too much, so nutrients didn't noticeably spike. Got any FTS?

Been a while since I updated this.

From battling the bryopsis, to the mag walking into my WAV multiple times ( usually after I add more fish), it has been very trying to get motivated to work on the tank. Yes it is work right now. Doesn’t help that my job is also aquarium related.

But the final push came recently. Traded my Mag to Neptune and picked up a Powder Blue tang. Which then promptly decided that the tank belonged to it. Chasing after EVERYTHING. And I mean everything. From wrasses to Anthias to damsels. Not to mention an Achilles and a Kole which is to be expected.

Lost a Rhomboid, thought I lost the pintail and lineatus as well but they were good at hiding. Zooming out to grab food then back into hiding. Lost the Achilles. Lost some flashers.

So this weekend, I decided to try and catch the PB. The sucky thing is it will only eat Nori and is extremely skittish. So trap didn’t work, and trying to corner it with nets didn’t work. Mirrors worked to some extent but it would zoom over to the other side of the tank to harass the other fish every 20 mins or so.

Decided to take out the pedestal I had made for the Mag. This opened up some space and I spread the rocks around a little more. Changed the angles on some of them. Moved around the frags and lps as well.

This seemed to have quietened down the PB, still some chases but less intense.

The pintail and lineatus are hanging out in the open more though relegated to the upper front corner of the tank for now. The PB comes over and let’s them know the limit of their range. At least I can spot feed them now.

FTS for now.

e669fcb6da1eecca1772b63be1879340.tif

In whitest Kessil lighting

1c9ac4159fa18afcf1bd1c4fd4eb1c9f.tif

Not done with the scape yet. Still have to put back some small rock pieces for the lps/softy.

Also moving more pieces over from the 40b. I think that will be coming down in the next few months. Need to decide on what to do with my BTAs and my Lightning Maroons.

well, keep at it Vincent. I know it’s hard to find the motivation lots of times. I’m sure you can power through it .
Maybe you should start off with a “water change” lol
Oh, I know you’re one of those cal. reactor guys that don’t have to do water changes anymore. Lol
Just don’t give up. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Yup. The mysterious highs and lows of reefing. I take comfort in the fact that every day my tank doesn’t crash is another day closer to that elusive “mature” reef tank stage! Where everything grows and nothing else seems to matter!

Yup. The mysterious highs and lows of reefing. I take comfort in the fact that every day my tank doesn’t crash is another day closer to that elusive “mature” reef tank stage! Where everything grows and nothing else seems to matter!

That sounds like a fluffy white unicorn that you hear stories about but never experience yourself so you don’t know for sure if the stories are true.

Current fish list,

Powder Blue
Kole Tang
Pygmy Angel
Pintail wrasse
Lineatus wrasse
Naoko wrasse
Carpenter's wrasse
Tono's Wrasse
6 Bimaculatus Anthias (1 male)
4 Purple Queen Anthias (1 male)
3 Talbot's damsels
1 Orange spot goby

Bummer about the powder blue... was this the smaller one in the middle row?

My powder blues like omega one mini pellets...fwiw

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back