Jestersix

Vincent's Office Planted Tank

Not sure if I'd put a Trident on a FW planted since it's a bit of an overkill, although I'm not sure that it matters with Vincent's plans and resources. Plus the 3 that it measures aren't really useful/needed for a fw planted tank...unless there's something in development to measure N,P,K...

I've done the high tech route before, most recently in between restarting the Waterbox 20G AIO. Radion XR30 G4 Pro using the freshwater program, 3 part EI dosing via BM doser, pressurized co2, etc. Slightly different than reefing for sure, but in a way, very similar. P.S. toss some Apistos in there if it strikes up your fancy. My favorite genus to add to any planted tank.

A. macmasteri "red neck" female herding
1625835185435.png

Neptune also gets some interesting fw fish sometimes, including these ornate glassfish (these came from Wetspot). Does well in similar water.
1625835700906.png

Red arcs are also from the same water as some of the blackwater Apistos (these were kept with A. diplotaenia). Male.
1625835912836.png

Females
1625835929241.png

So would the Trident be handy on a FW tank? Can it measure alk, Ca Mg on FW?
I've been reading up on the elements in a planted tank and while KH serves a purpose, it only needs to be a certain range. And a very low range at that.
Ca and Mg constitutes most of GH so there is a need for measurement there, sort of. The levels are so low that the Trident wouldn't be able to get a good reading unless I have engineering change the measurement range for me.

From what I've read, the ratio of Ca to Mg to K is 2:1:0.5 and even then, it's a rough guideline. Even within it same website, certain values it lists are a little different than those ratios would suggest. Ca and Mg are only required to be in the 10-50 ppm range.

Trident won't be needed. Like Eric mentioned above much more important for a planted tank is the NPK numbers. Both Eric and I had planted tanks for a while before reefs. I personally would use aquasoil or something similar if you are trying to grow some of the more difficult plants. Depending on how hard your tap water is you may want to use a mix of RO and tap.

Trident won't be needed. Like Eric mentioned above much more important for a planted tank is the NPK numbers. Both Eric and I had planted tanks for a while before reefs. I personally would use aquasoil or something similar if you are trying to grow some of the more difficult plants. Depending on how hard your tap water is you may want to use a mix of RO and tap.
I will be using RODI + Equilibrium. Got a couple of bags of Amazonia.

Back