got ethical husbandry?

Wavebox placement and DIY question

Dyngoe

Supporting Member
Hey All,

I have two questions(well, three but Q1 is in 2 parts):
1. Where is the best place to mount a wavebox? I have an area behind my rocks that is roughly 6" wide an 16" long. I was hoping to hide a box in there but I assume this will kill the wave effect. Alternate idea...Can I put the output flow into a 90 or 45 deg pvc pipe so the box is facing F->B but the output would be L->R. I can move the rocks on the left side of the tank and "hide" the box but I'll need to redirect the flow.

2. Now, the first two questions are predicated on this next one. If I have a box it will be a DIY. I have a line on a K8 and K7 magnum and, since they are controllable, I thought I might use one in the box. Their flow is comparable to a 6100 and they shoul fit nicely
(with the front half of the "egg" sicking out).

So, experts out ther, any thoughts?

To do a left to right wave you need an unobstructed area for the best results. Most people put wave boxes in the front of their tank for that reason. If there are rocks in the way of the flow you will not produce as big of a wave. Also something to consider before you try to do this is what kind of overflows you have. Wave boxes work best with overflows in the center of the tank (center back). They do not work well with tanks with dual overflows on the ends.

Thanks Ian,

I actually have one corner overflow. So, I'm probably the worst of the options there. What do you think of putting the outlet of the K7/8 into a PVC bend? I know it will diminish flow but if it works well enough I'll be able to hide the box better.

BTW, is there anything "fancy" in the box the DIYers are not mentioning? All of the builds I see are simply Acrylic boxes with holes at the bottom.

Hey All,

Don't worry about this thread anymore. I just found out the Magnums have a delay in startup so they won't work for a wavebox.

Thanks Ian for the insight. Perhaps if I get a Tunze I can try it at that time.

Back