Cali Kid Corals

What do you put under your tank?

I wanted to see what materials (if any) people put between their tanks and stand. I know alot of people use starboard. I was thinking of using a piece of rigid isulation, which is pretty much styrofoam. What are the benefits , if any, for doing this?

My maintank didn't have styrofoam in between my tank and stand. But I got styrofoam on my frag tank. Benefits of the styrofoam is that it even out any bumps and on BB setup the white styrofoam helps reflect the light back. If you need styrofoam let me know I still have about 4'x6' left.

UNDER your tank? I don't know of anyone who puts starboard under it, they put it in the tank to protect the bottom against rocks however. Basically what I've done is 1/4" (I think) foam insulation you can pick up at homedepot (or pro shop).. it'll compress a bit and supposedly even out the imperfections in the stand's surface

[quote author=kurplunk link=topic=6105.msg77450#msg77450 date=1233260283]
I wanted to see what materials (if any) people put between their tanks and stand. I know alot of people use starboard. I was thinking of using a piece of rigid isulation, which is pretty much styrofoam. What are the benefits , if any, for doing this?
[/quote]

Mike, he said between tanks and stand.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6105.msg77453#msg77453 date=1233264492]
Basically what I've done is 1/4" (I think) foam insulation you can pick up at homedepot (or pro shop).. it'll compress a bit and supposedly even out the imperfections in the stand's surface
[/quote]

I do the same

Is this an acrylic tank? I also have foam insulation from Home Depot under mine (1/2" I believe - it's a 180).

If it's glass with trim, I think I've heard you're not supposed to put anything between it and the stand.

[quote author=Natterjak link=topic=6105.msg77466#msg77466 date=1233267256]
Is this an acrylic tank? I also have foam insulation from Home Depot under mine.

If it's glass with trim, I think I've heard you're not supposed to put anything between it and the stand.
[/quote]

+1

The tank is acrylic. I am going bare bottom so i wanted to put something under it so the see thru bottom doesn't just show a piece of plywood. Thanks for all the help guys. Styrofoam it is.

[quote author=newreefnut link=topic=6105.msg77454#msg77454 date=1233264525]
Danny, you finally gonna get off your hiney and set up your tank???
[/quote]

+1 LOL

Ken, Ed- ya ya ya ya, I know i've been saying it for a long time but the stand has finally been anchored to the wall, and the entire living room is being retextured and painted next weekend. After that is done the water will actually go in. Most of the plumbing is going in a closet behind the tank. I'll start posting pics when there is actual tank related visual progress.

Back