High Tide Aquatics

What dosing pumps are you guys using?

yngplo

Supporting Member
Looking to move on from my bubble magus for something with WiFi connectivity, wanted to see what everyone else has been using.

Thanks in advance!

How many dose heads are you using?
I have the 3-head model! I’m just looking to get a WiFi capable dosing head so I don’t have to reach to the back of my sump when fixing everything.

I’m also looking to make a move into the moonshiners method, so I want to have more heads

The ecotech Versa is really nice if you are doing any kind of super precise dosing or dosing small amounts over time(kalk, etc). I haven’t had any issues with mobius. Really nice pump.

I use a Dosetronic and would recommend it also if you want a bunch of heads, it has 5. Noisier than the versa and clunkier software, but it’s been a workhorse for me.

I have the redsea and it's been nice and it's accurate to 0.1mL (I've tested this), with plenty of cool features. There is a whisper mode which is pretty quiet, it just doses slower. Idk if it's worth the extra $ over some other dosers, but I just get tired of having a different app for every little smart thing in my house and I already had the redsea app.

I've never had connectivity issues, that some other people have complained about been running it for about 3mos now. One annoying thing is it doesn't come with tubes and connectors, those are a $15 extra package.

I have the redsea and it's been nice and it's accurate to 0.1mL (I've tested this), with plenty of cool features. There is a whisper mode which is pretty quiet, it just doses slower. Idk if it's worth the extra $ over some other dosers, but I just get tired of having a different app for every little smart thing in my house and I already had the redsea app.

I've never had connectivity issues, that some other people have complained about been running it for about 3mos now. One annoying thing is it doesn't come with tubes and connectors, those are a $15 extra package.
im leaning toward this direction, just because the size / form factor of the red sea pumps looks really good

DIY ones. Currently using cheap kamoer heads that I'm running via a Reef-Pi. I have sitting in my hobby pile the parts to build a 5-head one with stepper pumps. Just need a free afternoon and hopefully will have that all up and running.

From the bit of research I've done, I'm pretty confident all these pumps out there are just the same. All the companies appear to be using kamoer pump heads. Kamoer sells a bunch of different models, and most seem to be using the cheapest possible, $12 buying on Amazon, heads. Those are just small DC motors turning a 3 roller pump head.

1704772268522.png

There's nothing really sophisticated you can do with that. The calibration is just helping calculate a timer for running the motor for a certain number of milliseconds. The internals are almost certainly just a ESP32 style Wi-Fi controller, using all the stock ESP / around libraries.

The higher end, expensive, pumps use stepper motors. That means at least in theory it's more precise. Some also use pump heads with 4+ rollers, which means it can do smaller doses (the minimum dose is effectively set by the tube inner diameter and the distance between rollers). The controller is likely the same, but if they're quiet that means they're also using a secondary stepper controller (eg a TMC2208 silent drive controller). That's also likely why jebao uses the term "sine wave" on some stuff, because that's what those stepper controllers do to be quiet. There's almost certainly no innovation being done by jebao or others, they're just slapping together commodity parts.

Stepper:

1704772235005.png

£
3-roller pump head:
1704772390221.png
1704772439938.png

Anyway, what's my point beyond random knowledge that's not generally useful? I'm pretty sure all these are basically the same. Hardware features that differentiate are if it's a stepper or a dc motor (slight precision differences) and number of rollers (though almost all are just 3), and user experience.

Been using the Kamoer F4 Pro for about four years now and no problems. Also have the Kamoer FX-STP to feed my calcium reactor and Kamoer Pro-T for my kalk reactor. App isn't fancy but it does the job and has been reliable.

I am using two Ecotech Versa, which work well for my Kalk and Traces, but I have been reading that the GHL are the best quality.

However, going with one of the cheaper options above seems to be potentially a smarter move, and the Kamoers will propbably do the same thing at a lower cost.

I am using two Ecotech Versa, which work well for my Kalk and Traces, but I have been reading that the GHL are the best quality.

However, going with one of the cheaper options above seems to be potentially a smarter move, and the Kamoers will propbably do the same thing at a lower cost.

GHL has great hardware but good luck with the software side

How do you like the app? I've heard mixed things about it
I gave up on trying to connect the Kamoer X1 wifi version app then purchased the cheaper bluetooth version which was easier to connect. Then replaced it with an Ecotech Versa. The Versa did not work out of the box, it had a pinhole leak in the tubing (i think a known issue with early sold versas). Replaced the tubing and have been using it since for pushing kalk through a reactor. Come to think of it, I should order another tube or two for backup. I like the versa for the simplicity of RO tubing connections and I run the app for lighting and wavemakers already.

I have 3 red sea dosers that incorporates into the larger app with the ato, reefmat, & lights.
Only the four head one has lost connection once and I only wonder because it’s lodged in a refrigerator.
I like the calibration technique it uses -first calibrate and then it tests another dose to make sure. It also tests only at 4 ml (8 total) vs 40 for the Neptune-which is a substantial amount.

A little more than others but less than the Neptune or Eco Versa

I gave up on trying to connect the Kamoer X1 wifi version app
A lot of Kamoer connection issues I've seen and experienced are related to the person's wifi signal. They require or are really picky about using a 2.4ghz wifi channel which might be harder to set up on some routers that use 5ghz and 2.4ghz on the same SSID.

A lot of Kamoer connection issues I've seen and experienced are related to the person's wifi signal. They require or are really picky about using a 2.4ghz wifi channel which might be harder to set up on some routers that use 5ghz and 2.4ghz on the same SSID.

Thank you for the info! I will keep this in mind in the future when I may try to use it again. To be fair to Kamoer wifi, I gave up fairly quickly.

Since we're here already, thanks everyone for your input! I'm between a Kamoer 4-head and the reef dose.

How often are you maintaining your pumps? And when you do maintain them, are you disassembling them, or are you just replacing the heads? (if possible)

I wanna clean up my bubble magus before I trade it off, or sell it to someone

Back