Our mission

What is on my shrimp?

I got this from Aquarium Showroom. Any idea what is on the shrimp. Look like some kinda bug inside the head .. He seem to be ok now. It was there when I got it. I didn't pay attention at the store (too busy taking pics).
Sorry for the crappy pic. He is very shy. Only come out when feeding.
shrimp.jpg

Phong you just bought one with an STD...(Shrimp transmitted disease)..

Seriously though, ive never encountered that myself...ive seen things on my shrimp that resembled ich, but nothing that big..

[quote author=FinalPhaze987 link=topic=4508.msg54942#msg54942 date=1221028008]
Phong you just bought one with an STD...(Shrimp transmitted disease)..

Seriously though, ive never encountered that myself...ive seen things on my shrimp that resembled ich, but nothing that big..

[/quote]

I see that on my shrimp too. (the ich looking stuff, not the big thing) I sort of figured it might be the tiny calcerous tube worms that grow all over everything, but I don't know.

[quote author=MontanaBay link=topic=4508.msg54946#msg54946 date=1221029632]
almost looks like sea lice or something....yuck
[/quote]

I think that's wat it is..

removal from shrimp usually results in death of the shrimp. Leave it on, they don't really get all that harmed by it. I've seen them live just as long with it then with out. It's a fairly common occurrence, especially out of Sri Lanka. I'd get a few in every shipment.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4508.msg55044#msg55044 date=1221102265]
removal from shrimp usually results in death of the shrimp. Leave it on, they don't really get all that harmed by it. I've seen them live just as long with it then with out. It's a fairly common occurrence, especially out of Sri Lanka. I'd get a few in every shipment.
[/quote]

That reefkeeping article seems to indicate that they'll multiply and kill all your fish... might be a good idea to remove the shrimp from your tank?

Back