Reef nutrition

What kind of carbon and GFO to run? Lignite or ROX? Granules, pellets or high capacity?

Looking to run carbon and GFO on the next tank so I plan to get a dual media reactor from BRS. Is ROX carbon truly better than lignite? Is it worth the extra cost? And should I run granules, pellets of the high capacity stuff?

What size tank? If its a smaller tank just go for the ROX as you will not go through that much. I use the normal stuff for my systems as I go through so much of it. As for the GFO the best bang for the buck is the pellets (Po4 removal capacity vs cost). Again if its a smaller tank you could go with the HC stuff and it won't be to much of a cost difference. Good luck with the new system.

Right now everything is in a 40g holding tank. But I'm planning on setting up a 100-120g tank which will have a sump as well. So the volume will be significantly higher.

ROX works great but its effectiveness is very short lived. We test DOC weekly so we get a pretty good idea of how it affects this parameter. It will drop it significantly within a week but then usually loses a significant capacity to remove organics. I'd suggest if you do use it to use very small amounts and swap it out frequently. The other drawback is that it comes in very small grains and the sponges that come with the BRS reactors don't really stop it.

We tested several carbons for phosphate leaching not too long ago and the ROX 0.8 performed the best, by far. This may not be such a big concern in the amounts you're using but if you are having phosphate issues it's worth considering.

The Rox stuff is a PITA in one of the BRS reactors or a 2LF reactor. It is so fine some of it tends to pass through the sponge filter and find its way into my sump. Pellet Carbon for me.

seminolecpa said:
The Rox stuff is a PITA in one of the BRS reactors or a 2LF reactor. It is so fine some of it tends to pass through the sponge filter and find its way into my sump. Pellet Carbon for me.
+1

Even their high capacity GFO tends to sorta clog the reactor sponges.
I'll be sticking to the larger stuff in the future.

Back