Cali Kid Corals

What type of algae is this? Regular gha ?

first couple pics looks like dino. what are your nutrients at? look into running a uv.

as for bryosis, u can slowly increase mag to 1500 and let it sit there for awhile. it will kill it naturally without dosing any chemicals.

in mean time, work on balancing your nutrients, get some good clean up crew, and continue regular husbandry.

My nitrate is close to zero. Phosphate at 0.04. Maybe all the algae sucking up all the nitrate.

I assumed the low/imbalance nutrient is the cause of cyno.

I added a 13w uv for this 65g system @ 210gph flow rate.

first couple pics looks like dino. what are your nutrients at? look into running a uv.

as for bryosis, u can slowly increase mag to 1500 and let it sit there for awhile. it will kill it naturally without dosing any chemicals.

in mean time, work on balancing your nutrients, get some good clean up crew, and continue regular husbandry.
My mag is 1500-1575 and my bryopsis seems to be growing strongly.

As an aside, semi-OT but it was in the pic, @newfly how confident are you on that cyano diagnosis? That looks a lot like dinos to me, though I know they look similar.

As an aside, semi-OT but it was in the pic, @newfly how confident are you on that cyano diagnosis? That looks a lot like dinos to me, though I know they look similar.

No confident of course. The chemiclean did clear up 60-70% of whatever it is. I now just have blast the rocks twice a day. I just added a 15w 210gph uv.

What I didnt do is blackout. My corals are visibly stress and not sure blackout is a good idea. Not planning to add anything to the tank right now.

No confident of course. The chemiclean did clear up 60-70% of whatever it is. I now just have blast the rocks twice a day. I just added a 15w 210gph uv.

What I didnt do is blackout. My corals are visibly stress and not sure blackout is a good idea. Not planning to add anything to the tank right now.
I would siphon the rocks rather than blast them. You want to remove it not just spread it around. Added bonus of removing whatever nutrients it requires, in the cells.

I would siphon the rocks rather than blast them. You want to remove it not just spread it around. Added bonus of removing whatever nutrients it requires, in the cells.

Got it. I assumed the filter floss is going to get most of them.

All my acro not showing any PE. I assumed they are not happy. Arg.. I had a good few months of growth. It’s just so hard to keep a stable system. Funny enough birdnest is ‘peeling’ and green encrust ling monti also turning a bit white at some section. Otherwise all the acro seems ok, good coloration but just no PE.

Alk is steady enough at 8.5-9. The alk consumption drop so I have to adjust the dosing.

Ca at 460, Mag 1500 ( will slowly drop) nitrate -5 phosphate at 0.04 I think my parameters is okay minus the higher mag.

It’s getting frustrating. I had a good run with acro in the past months so I added more. Oh well, if this kill all the sps that’s the end of sps for my tank.

It’s possible to siphon into filter socks in the sump to save the water, but in your case with unclear coral unhappiness, I’d make up a bunch of new saltwater and do a bunch of water changes to replenish your daily siphoning until you turn the corner for the better. This is a frustrating hobby, but everyone here has been there in one way or another before so we sympathize.

Back