Kessil

Whats your guess?

So on my sedbed use to be a large colony of zoas on one side of my 40 breeder. For some unknown reason some of them were always irritated for about a month. So I dipped and put back and it helped for a day then again some closed. So I moved the colony up the rockwork and they are now fine. Now I put another colony there and the same thing is happening. Its only in that one spot on the sandbed and it doesnt look like they are being eaten just mostly closed. Maybe bristleworms are making them mad I dont know any takers?

Bristleworms would be my guess, they crawl under and on the sides of the rock and irritate them causing them to close up since they are a colonial species.

this information is a shot in the dark but possible.

Xenia Eating Worm

Here is my healthy flower pot on the rocks before i moved it to the sand bed to move some rocks

newestcorals003.jpg

After 3 days of being on the sand bed it started to get really unhappy so i looked close. In the pic you will see a regular bristle worm located at top of pic next to the bad skinny worms just for a comparison. The skinny worms were digging holes in the flower pot and killing it from the bottom up it seemed.

badworm2.jpg

Its possible the flower pot was doomed from the start and introduced these worms to my tank. im aware these are hard to keep but after 4 months of having a happy flower pot to dead in 3 days makes me think the worms could of been in the sand only to make their way into the flower pot. The battle couldn't be won due to many worms reproducing inside the pot so i removed it due to little information relating to these worms.

flowerpotinbucket.jpg

This is the same worms burrowing in my sand bed not to long after the flower pot was removed.. This is a pic of my failed deep sand bed that became a detritus trap. Cyno bacteria is the green in the bed around the bad worms i believe. also note that these aren't the red/pink bristle worms shown in the bed. long story short i sucked out 80% of the sand.

newestcorals014.jpg

its also possible this flower pot was dieing and these worms were helping but i don't think so.

its possible they are Annelids

Anelids info

Back