Neptune Aquatics

What's your most indespensible tool for tank cleaning ?

Hi - Sorry to hijack this thread but is it alright to use the plastic Kent scrapper blades on glass? I tried using the metal one designed for glass but would get a screeching sound. I would stop thinking I'm scratching the glass. Or is there a certain way I need to run the blade across the glass? Thanks.

Also ... it's a big assumption that we all clean our tanks. Mine is a wall of algae.

I'll check out the ez scraper thing and the magic eraser. My razor scraper works awesome on the built up corraline, but you gotta stick your arm in there. That's not going to work with Wifebane (180)
U will live this scraper. Really! World and difference and even the wife can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually went through Marine Depot, although it's listed as "Easy Blade" but I am pretty sure (at least hoping) it's the same thing.

Was hoping they'd have it on drfostersandsmith so I could do the $49 free shipping, but alas that didn't happen. I purchased enough stuff to make it worth buying though.

The magic eraser is an abrasive plastic (not quite a plastic actually, but close) and won't scratch glass. I have been using it on a piece of acrylic divider I have in my frag tang as well and it isn't noticeably scratching that either. I would be more careful with an acrylic tank--the divider is going to be removed when I upgrade so I am content to use it for experimentation and so far, so good.
FYI, this is the cleaning tool of choice at the Steinhart on their tanks which are acrylic, they it at a case at a time. If it won't scratch acrylic Kara won't need to worry about her Starphire glass... well unless you get sand against it but then the same issues could happen with acrylic.

Also I found the outer material of the dobbie sponges makes for a really nice mesh-modification for skimmer pumps... well nice in that it makes foamy beer like air, not so nice in that it's extremely difficult to get pumps started.

Also glass is harder than the metal in a razor blade, translation you can not scratch glass with the metal. However it is possible to gouge it if you press hard enough into the glass. But if you're holding the razor blade perpendicular to the direction you're scraping you'll be fine.

The one thing I miss about my glass tank is taking a razor blade to it and weeks of crud vanish in seconds, and once the water column is clear of what I scraped off the glass looks practically invisible.

I'm old school, haven't seen a great benefit for scrapers except to use them as an extension for my Mr. Clean Magic Pads. The Cal Academy uses these things like they are going out of style and it is by far the best and cheapest solution for cleaning both calcareous and non-calcareous algae from the glass.

Use a kent scraper or similar, wrap the magic pad around the blade with a rubber band and its 10x more useful!

They are very inexpensive, disposable and fairly durable. The only downside is that sharp edges or lots of friction can abrade the pad into small pieces. Not that big of a deal as they float! The original ones are reef safe.

-Mark

Back