High Tide Aquatics

Whelk control of vermetids

Darkxerox

Facilities, Events, LFS Partnership
BOD
So made an interesting observation. Since I got some gulf rock from Salty Bottom Reef, they came with about 4 whelks. They didn't go after any of my trochus snails, astreas, crabs, or tube worms. I did notice they wiped out my small limpets, but none of the huge ones (>1cm). The big thing is that there are zero vermetid snails left and none even showing up when normally I'd crush maybe 5-10 a week.

This is the type:
PXL_20240212_015921219.jpg

PXL_20240212_020049067.jpg

The reason I pulled them was because I needed to add berghia nudibranchs and I did see these immediately hunt down the blue velvet I added before.

Mike Paletta wrote about a similar species: https://reefbuilders.com/2023/06/02/pollia-fumosus-a-new-form-of-natural-vermetid-snail-control/

But those sound like indo Pacific species. These are definitely Caribbean.

I moved them to the 90g tank that's overrun with the large species of vermetids so we'll see what happens. They seemed to just be detritivores after running out of prey though in my sump. Anyone else have experience?

So made an interesting observation. Since I got some gulf rock from Salty Bottom Reef, they came with about 4 whelks. They didn't go after any of my trochus snails, astreas, crabs, or tube worms. I did notice they wiped out my small limpets, but none of the huge ones (>1cm). The big thing is that there are zero vermetid snails left and none even showing up when normally I'd crush maybe 5-10 a week.

This is the type: View attachment 52815
View attachment 52816

The reason I pulled them was because I needed to add berghia nudibranchs and I did see these immediately hunt down the blue velvet I added before.

Mike Paletta wrote about a similar species: https://reefbuilders.com/2023/06/02/pollia-fumosus-a-new-form-of-natural-vermetid-snail-control/

I moved them to the 90g tank that's overrun with the large species of vermetids so we'll see what happens. They seemed to just be detritivores after running out of prey though in my sump. Anyone else have experience?
No experience
But many thanks for sharing
I have had several battles with those evil vermetid snails

View attachment 52816

Got some by accident, and they definitely killed a lot of my snails. They've also been detritovores in my sump since I banished them there.

I purchased bumblebee snails to take care of my vermatids but so far they’ve been ineffective.
I added a few bumblebees 7 months ago, I've never seen them eat vermetids but I have noticed that the vermatids have been alot less than before i added them. I have to really hunt to find any vermetid tubes now., I dont have proof as I rarely see the bumblebees lol(i catch sight of them maybe every two/ three weeks like snipers hidden in camo), but its possible they maybe keeping the population under control.

Had over ten or so bumblebees in the nano tank but they seemed to be vastly ineffective. However, I did read somewhere that they would only suck out the tube but do not break down the tubes, and when I recently cleaned up the rocks I noticed that the tube colors were different, so maybe several could have been empty. Not sure if any of this is correct, and always interested in a more effective solution to get rid of them.

View attachment 52816

Any update on this? Or too early to say?

Back