got ethical husbandry?

When I see someone buy a frag that's on DBTC:

Darkxerox

Facilities, Events, LFS Partnership
BOD
20230222_122110.jpg

(Or when they buy/rent a PAR meter)

The problem with DBTC is you can't get them. i pretty much buy most of my corals
Which ones have you had trouble getting?

That's one of the bad things about barcode. If you see something on dbtc that you really like instead of just clicking on barcode, you should also reach out to the person offering it or others in the chain who have it.

We are open to suggestions to improve DBTC.

I have a lot of items available on DBTC. I want to share them. And I have a lot of people who at one point or another have used BARCode to express interest in DBTC items and then there’s radio silence. Unless we are already meeting up for something else and I bring it up, or the person is motivated and reaches out to me, the ”requests” just sit there. Some are years old at this point. I assume it’s because it’s easier to click a button than to drive to where I am. I have no way to tell if people really want them or not at this point.

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but why do you say this? Info from you about your experience could be helpful to us for improving things
Maybe it's me or the process? I'm pretty new to this, but I would assume DBTC is pretty much the same as borrowing the club meter right?
I check the barcard for available frags and click on request a frag. then wait in line like borrowing the meter,
After that I see Barcard posted in the thread my username is requesting for a frag and listed who's ahead of me
But pretty much afterward never heard anything back. The only DBTC I received is the time I was buying corals from Alexx and he mentioned he got some dbtc frag he can give me.

So even with borrowing equipment, you still need to tag the people that have the item, or direct message them in order to arrange. Waiting in line is more of a clerical thing. You still have to reach out to anyone that has something you want.

Reactions: JVU
Maybe it's me or the process? I'm pretty new to this, but I would assume DBTC is pretty much the same as borrowing the club meter right?
I check the barcard for available frags and click on request a frag. then wait in line like borrowing the meter,
After that I see Barcard posted in the thread my username is requesting for a frag and listed who's ahead of me
But pretty much afterward never heard anything back. The only DBTC I received is the time I was buying corals from Alexx and he mentioned he got some dbtc frag he can give me.
The next step that will help is messaging the person who has the frag and coordinating a meetup time and place. Once you reach out, you will find there are lots of members who have frags, they just don't monitor their DBTC threads.

So even with borrowing equipment, you still need to tag the people that have the item, or direct message them in order to arrange. Waiting in line is more of a clerical thing. You still have to reach out to anyone that has something you want.
Ah... Maybe that's the part that is confusing, for par meter, when the meter is available, the person will message the next one in line to schedule for pickup
as for DBTC, I see people ahead of me , so I was just waiting for frags are available and the contributor to notify me it's available and to schedule for pickup

There is no “line”. Nobody is likely to contact you. You should contact someone that has frags available or seems to have the corals you want and see about meeting up. Back when I was active basically anyone that was willing to drive to my house could get probably 80% of my Dbtc anytime. There are exceptions for slow growing/difficult/rare/expensive corals where it’s important to be more discerning on who to give it to.
There’s an old post about how Dbtc works. I’ll bump it up. It’s been awhile. Check it out.
Reach out to people that have stuff you want or tanks you like. We are mostly generous and friendly, especially in person.

There is no “line”. Nobody is likely to contact you. You should contact someone that has frags available or seems to have the corals you want and see about meeting up. Back when I was active basically anyone that was willing to drive to my house could get probably 80% of my Dbtc anytime. There are exceptions for slow growing/difficult/rare/expensive corals where it’s important to be more discerning on who to give it to.
There’s an old post about how Dbtc works. I’ll bump it up. It’s been awhile. Check it out.
Reach out to people that have stuff you want or tanks you like. We are mostly generous and friendly, especially in person.
Thanks for the explanation. Will do so next time

Fwiw when I was a new member this guidance wasn't clear to me; I didn't want to be bugging people rudely by direct messaging and therefore trying to cut in front of the line. Actually even now, having been in the club for over a year, I didn't realize that's what people were expecting. I assumed if people didn't respond they were not interested in giving it to me for whatever reason.

So I've learned something new today. Might be useful to sticky this information somewhere.

The friction involved is why we started the DBTC table last swap by the way. I hoped it would be an easier way to share them.
The DBTC table was a huge success at the last swap. Suppose we will not have one this time since it is open to more than supporting members?

The DBTC table was a huge success at the last swap. Suppose we will not have one this time since it is open to more than supporting members?
Yeah, the current plan is to have it just at members-only events. Although, now that you’ve got me thinking, it might work at an open swap as long as it was clear it was for BAR members. And could also serve as publicity to nonmembers about membership benefits. If we get someone to volunteer for the BAR outreach table then maybe the DBTC table is part of it, could be a nice conversation starter.

Yeah, the current plan is to have it just at members-only events. Although, now that you’ve got me thinking, it might work at an open swap as long as it was clear it was for BAR members. And could also serve as publicity to nonmembers about membership benefits. If we get someone to volunteer for the BAR outreach table then maybe the DBTC table is part of it, could be a nice conversation starter.
I do likes the concept of people bringing whatever DBTC corals they may have if they have been in communication with those requesting frags-and it’s on the requester perhaps? Maybe not

I have a number of requests out there. I don’t reach out a lot due to time or geography.
The DBTC table is convenient for sure although I do like to visit people and see their tanks

Back