Reef nutrition

Where can I find some black abs board.

Note that TAP has some nice grey PVC sheets as well.
But be careful, sheets can lift up in spots, and you can get detritus underneath.

The mirror finish of the glass eventually gets coated with coraline, as does the abs/pvc,
so both will look the same in time.
Never having that mirror finish, and protecting the glass from rocks, is a moderate bonus.
So:
If I were doing it from scratch with an empty tank: I would glue it in like crazy.
In an existing tank: I would not bother.

There’s several reasons for going bare bottom. What’s yours? maybe known if yours then the more experience reefers will chime in.
As for me I don’t like dirty sand. Therefore I cut marco rocks in half and they’re my bottom.

I made my mind up and I am going with bare less bottom. So I was wondering where to get some.
87C39A2C-8947-441E-B7CB-1B53070838A8.jpeg

1. TAP Plastics is the local source, probably the cheapest as well since you don't have to pay shipping. Oh, and they have the rarest feature of stores up in the city....a parking lot! I'd get whatever their thinnest material is if you just want it for cosmetics.
2. My large tank has some sort of plastic bottom, I'd guess PE, but could be anything. I don't think it's acrylic. It's about the color of sand, which I rather like. I mention this because I know clear is a different price than black, so tan might be different again. If you just want a reef safe plastic, many are fine, although some will stick to silicone better or worse than others.
3. I'd go with a matte finish if it's an option. It's not going to stay shiny for long and the scratches will stand out less.
4. If all goes well, plan for it to be covered in coraline at some point.
5. My current tank is bare bottom, although only because I don't plan for it to be permanent (next one will have sand, I already have the sand even). I just blow a powerhead under the rocks periodically and blow everything out. It's definitely easier than sand where you can siphon exposed sand, but not the rest of it. As to which makes a better reef I don't know.
6. My vote is to just make it fit well to the bottom (this will require clearance for the silicone), let the weight of the rocks hold it down, and ignore the small gap underneath. Sealing the edges with black silicone also seems like a decent option.

Sorry guys I’ve been super busy but I went ahead and got it from taps plastics. Reason why I went with bare bottom is for the cleaner look, sand is great but honestly I suck at cleaning it and end up siphoning it out lol. I like the cleaner look and also want corals to encrust to the bottom, i think it looks really nice and makes the tank pop more. I always hated the fact that I have to restrict my flow due to sand blowing everywhere. I know it will be harder in some ways, but I will let my tank cycle for a few months before I start slowly transferring everything over from my smaller tank.

Back