High Tide Aquatics

Where do you dose your 2 part

The_Lazy_Reefer

Supporting Member
Ok my return pumps have been acting crazy and just dying. A cleaning gets them going but it’s becoming a major PITA so I’m going down the list as to what the issue is. Pumps being bad is always up there but I’m thinking my 2 part being dosed directly into the return pump may be causing issues? I dose 12ml every 4 hours and space the Ca/alk out by an hour. Anyone have an idea if this could be an issue or just bad luck with pumps. No snails/macro inside just a pretty clean pump that doesn’t spin when I open them up to clean.

Interesting. I’m dosing right above my return pump and have only noticed precipitate building up. I searched for others with your question and found this reply:

“The only precipitate that I ever see is build up on the end of the alkalinity hose. Sometimes it builds up and clogs and I have to remove it. I've been dosing into my sump for years and I've never had any issues. ( also low flow sump.)

(https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/for-those-of-you-who-dose-2-part.308986/;)

I dose into my return chamber and don’t have pump issues. BUT it only doses a couple drops at a time many times throughout the day and night, and none of the three different supplements ever go at the same time. Spreading it out, the concentration of Ca/Alk/Mg never is much higher in the return chamber vs rest of the tank.

I could see that dosing a half a day’s worth all at once could be a problem for increasing the concentration and causing precipitation.

Also I think it’s important to have a schedule for pump cleaning before they get too dirty, as opposed to after you see a problem.

Example of what I mean by spreading it out (Apex does all the calculations for me):
EEB080EC-5623-49D0-AB26-1456FC02AC85.png

I'm dripping straight into my sump too, usually cleaning my return ~ 3 months or so. I actually have a few returns that I rotate out for redundancy, but cleaning doesn't usually have any dosing build up. I'm using Kalk, with vinegar so not sure if that's helping dissolve things a little too.

I dose in the return chamber next to the return pump. Both when I used to ise 2 parts and now when using CArx, But I have put a small power head in the chamber to dilute the alk and CA immediately.
Most pumps indeed warn from dosing next to the pump cause it can cause precipitation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have the two lines, which are pumped with the BRS 1.1 ml unit about 30 minutes apart from one another into my return pipes filter sock.

I dose in the return chamber next to the return pump. Both when I used to ise 2 parts and now when using CArx, But I have put a small power head in the chamber to dilute the alk and CA immediately.
Most pumps indeed warn from dosing next to the pump cause it can cause precipitation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
That’s what I’m thinking is add a small hydor just to stir it up. Might be the route I go.

The pressure variations in the pump would not cause problems in dosing near the pump. The solution can migrate into magnetic area of the pump and precipitate out. There is very little movement of liquid in and out of this area. When using magnetic drive for polymer liquids the material can eventually degrade in this area. You pull the pumps apart and the solution in the magnet area is darkened from the heat of the pump and work done to the liquid. As with most chemical problems dilution is the solution. I would suggest moving the dosing to before the filter in the sump.

Last edited:
I dose right on top of my return intake. But, like JVU said, I use the DOS and it only drops a few drips every few minutes.

I clean my pumps every three moths, and every time I do I think I’m wasting my time because they look fine.

I do get precipitate on my alk line, and have to clean that up every month or two. It has never clogged, but I’m sure it would if I did not pay attention.

I dose in my skimmer section and since I switched to soda ash (from bicarbonate), I do get precipitate. I dose throughout the day about 16h using a DOS pump. It's odd that it doesn't affect my Alk readings.

Back