got ethical husbandry?

Where to get CO2 tank filled for calcium reactor

I called Praxair, they said for a 5lb tank it's like $15 or so, then if the tank needs hydro, they just charge you $20 then swap the tank.
I think that means they just charge you the hydro fee and swap your tank, if your tank later fails the hydro it's irrelevant to you... this is better than hydro-ing your tank, finding it fails and being left with an empty useless tank.

V

For sure. I use tanks from airgas everyday at work. Way easier to just exchange unless you have some ultra fancy schmancy aluminum co2 tank that is all polished.. I dunno Gomer. Whenever they would send my bottles out for hydro they keep the valve and stem at teh shop. They just send the bottle out..

The rental charge they charge you is per fill as well not by the month or anything like that. So everytime you bring it back for refill they will charge you for a fill and whatever the rental is like 10 bucks or whatever.. So if you are only getting filled once every 6 months then its like 20 bucks a year for rental....

You should see our CO2 containers at Reed :) Massive things on metal carts.

are they like the big liquid nitrogen dewars?
nwm1.jpg

Sorta like the dewar on the left but they weld larger carts onto the bottom so the can't tip as easily. They're about 5' tall and like 3' in diameter.

OK, just got my 5lb tank filled (In Santa Clara). Here's the scoop,

I went to Praxair with my aluminum tank, the guy didn't have any Al tanks, only steel ones and he said they were pretty pitted. It would have cost about 15 bucks for a swap. Across the street is "Carbonic Services" who sell soda stuff...they refilled the tank on the spot for $12. Now the thing is that my tank has 3 months left of valid hydro-testing (tank is valid for 5 years from last test)... so it won't make it to the next fill without re-hydro-testing, which is $20.

I think that, knowing that, IF praxair had an Al 5lb tank I could have swapped for, it would have been better because it likely would have a "younger" stamp on it. Then I'd be set until the next refill, etc, etc...so you can leapfrog expiration dates with tank swaps (I think).

Anyway, there you go. Carbonic Services in Santa Clara is a good place to fill if you want to keep your tank. I believe it's $22 to fill a 20 lb tank, so 10 was about 16 or 17 bucks.

V

Back