Jestersix

Which 17" laptops are under 5lbs?

Elite said:
yeah :bigsmile: .. I think I will get her the XPS 17. Just want to know if the screen is glossy or not. Per Dell it is but it doesn't look like it from the picture.

Don't judge colors/functions by pictures. Those are computer generated sometimes and are not updated in time.
Just call dell and ask them about it.

I personally can't stand staring at myself in a glossy screen so i special ordered non-glossy on my MacBookPro, $50 extra BTW.

BestBuy has the Dell XPS 15" version at some stores.
That is fairly likely the same technology screen. Although you should check on Dell site.

1. Remote Desktop for Mac, this is what i use to connect to the office, must be VPN, we use CISCO vpn/anyconnect. I do most of my work on a MAC when i am at home and on call.

2. If you wan to run Windows on a MAC you can accomplish this by
a. Use boot Camp to run Windows on a MAC, this will create a partition on the existing hard drive and install
Windows on that partition your when you're done you can easily restart and boot back to MAC, and it is really
fast probably faster than any native windows machine i've seen.
b. Vmware Fusion or Parrallel Server for MAC, Either one works just fine...

I have a 15" mb pro connected to a external monitor and it just works great...

That Dell is 8+ lbs.

I don't think there is a 17" under 5lbs. The macbook pro is one of the lightest out there and it is 6.6lbs. I am sure a few are out there with with stripped hardware but not under 5lbs.

Get a 15" and a $200 19" monitor.

fishme said:
Phong, let me know if you want a Mac.
Can you get a 17" under $1600? :bigsmile: PM me if you can :)

zepplock said:
Elite said:
yeah :bigsmile: .. I think I will get her the XPS 17. Just want to know if the screen is glossy or not. Per Dell it is but it doesn't look like it from the picture.

Don't judge colors/functions by pictures. Those are computer generated sometimes and are not updated in time.
Just call dell and ask them about it.

I personally can't stand staring at myself in a glossy screen so i special ordered non-glossy on my MacBookPro, $50 extra BTW.

I don't trust sale people especially Dell's. I actually looked at a bunch of photos that were taken by users and look at video on Youtube.
I don't like glossy screen either. I actually hate it but the laptop is not for me. It's for my wife and she wants 17" with a glossy screen like the screen on the Samsung LCD :tired: ..

rygh said:
BestBuy has the Dell XPS 15" version at some stores.
That is fairly likely the same technology screen. Although you should check on Dell site.

I didn't know Bestbuy has Dell laptop. I will stop by there today. Thanks..

siokoy said:
1. Remote Desktop for Mac, this is what i use to connect to the office, must be VPN, we use CISCO vpn/anyconnect. I do most of my work on a MAC when i am at home and on call.

2. If you wan to run Windows on a MAC you can accomplish this by
a. Use boot Camp to run Windows on a MAC, this will create a partition on the existing hard drive and install
Windows on that partition your when you're done you can easily restart and boot back to MAC, and it is really
fast probably faster than any native windows machine i've seen.
b. Vmware Fusion or Parrallel Server for MAC, Either one works just fine...

I have a 15" mb pro connected to a external monitor and it just works great...

I honestly don't know MAC. Something break I will be the one who has to fix it and I don't even know how to use the dang thing.

Qwiv said:
That Dell is 8+ lbs.

I don't think there is a 17" under 5lbs. The macbook pro is one of the lightest out there and it is 6.6lbs. I am sure a few are out there with with stripped hardware but not under 5lbs.

Get a 15" and a $200 19" monitor.

There isn't and she is ok with it heavy now. No 15" nor external monitor. Dell has a new XPS 15z laptop. I think it's thinner than the MAC book and more powerfull too but no she doesn't want it.. See why I'm getting a headache?? |(

Back