got ethical husbandry?

White and pink favia

Yes, in reference to the photo, the top of the frag where a big hole is at (and algae taking over). Wondering what that big hole was, and since it looks dead, is it detrimental to the rest of the frag/colony. Thanks! Not sure on growth rate, but I'll repost a photo maybe in a month? 6 months?

As long as there's no further tissue recession or skeleton showing through the tissue - should be ok. I'd imagine corals don't appreciate algae growing in the middle of their colony like that but removing it without damage might be tough.

Some of the tissue (not part of circles/eyes) has died off. Is that normal from the fragging, or is my favia not doing so well? Also, in my 24" depth, with 14k 250 MH, is the sandbed okay, or needs to be in shaded area?

Sal 1.025 | Alk 9.1 | Ca 440 | Mg 1480

yellojello said:
Some of the tissue (not part of circles/eyes) has died off. Is that normal from the fragging, or is my favia not doing so well? Also, in my 24" depth, with 14k 250 MH, is the sandbed okay, or needs to be in shaded area?

Sal 1.025 | Alk 9.1 | Ca 440 | Mg 1480

Sounds like tissue recession. Something could be bothering it or it's just not happy - light/flow. Really depends on the bulbs you're using. Not all are created equal ;) Wouldn't put it in the shade. If anything, maybe higher

Hey Jimmy,
What I observed on mine is that they don't seem to have tentacles and like high lighted areas.
I dunno if they are photosynthetic or what, but that's what I have observed.

Back