Neptune Aquatics

Who Owns a Small Business?

So I am taking the jump and turning my side job into a business. I am a vet tech that will be starting my own mobile grooming business in Alameda and serving the bay area. Problem is I have never done this and the people at city hall have been far from helpful in guiding me where to go and what to do. I would really appreciate anyone who has done this before to offer up some advice. I understand the licensing but are confused by the zoning permits, i.e- because i am mobile do i need to have licenses for any city I work in? Also I have a po box that I took out here in alameda but the woman i spoke to said that i would have to pay an additional 180 because I have what is considered a home office. I have just heard different things from different people so just want some clarification. Thanks all

I have a small business.
Typically, you will need a license for every city you work in. Because the city will want a cut in the form of business taxes.
Cant help you with the home office issue. I live and work in Fremont.

Forgot to say good luck!

I had a small business in Fremont.
I did have a home office. Fremont did not care or ask for extra money. The only key thing for that
was making sure it was really an office for the IRS write-off.
The PO box thing sound weird. But unfortunately, unless you KNOW they are wrong, how do you argue?

Unfortunately, these things vary from city to city, and I have no idea about mobile businesses.

The only advice:
You might want to look into various mobile "franchises". Not to necessarily to buy, but because you might find some nice pointers there.
Although, a franchise is an option you might want to consider anyway.
They help with all that. You get advertising, website, etc.
Of course - downside = $$$$.

technically you do not need a business license as long as you pay the state and federal taxes. We've had this discussion here a few times. Not sure of the thread title though.

A business license helps you get wholesale accounts so you may still want to get one if your not all ready connected with them.

My sister is a DVM and does mobile clinics. I'll see if I can get any details from her employer :) (they do shots and stuff, not grooming)

Even better if you live in an unincorporated area, no town to get a business license from :D

Go to the library and stick your nose into some Nolo books, there's tons of info there to get you started.

Keep things to a minimum, don't go crazy with permits, incorporation, write offs, treat it like a normal job only you have to keep track of your expenses, that will determine where your at business wise, from there you can grow (or not in my case ;)).

tuberider said:
Even better if you live in an unincorporated area, no town to get a business license from :D

Go to the library and stick your nose into some Nolo books, there's tons of info there to get you started.

Keep things to a minimum, don't go crazy with permits, incorporation, write offs, treat it like a normal job only you have to keep track of your expenses, that will determine where your at business wise, from there you can grow (or not in my case ;)).
+1
and KISS(keep it simple stupid)

Alameda will want their 180 if your business phone number is in the city limits. My business is in Emeryville, but I had a business line at my place in Alameda. Every year I got a bill, didn't matter if I conducted business in the city, it was all because of my phone. For myself, all that phone did was get me calls at midnight during albacore season from guys wanting a report from the night before....so I disconnected it.

Thanks for the info guys it helped a ton. Real funny Tuberider, hopefully your business grows as fast as these Zoas I picked up from you at the swap. I was all caught up about being "legal" and didnt think it was simple as it really is. I am going the unincorporated route to test the waters and see if this is a viable career. Working for myself has really been a dream so the day I wake up and the boss is me will be the best day of my life. Plus I can always get incorporated at a later date if needed. Last question is once its up and running could I mention it here or post a link to my website in the forums? There would be a discount for bar members....payments could come in cash/check/ frags/snails/crabs. Thanks again all.

Back