Neptune Aquatics

Wild Justice

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
anyone catch this show? Seems the premise is that various F&W or whatever the state's equivalent is go around and bust people doing illegal stuff.

Just caught an episode because it was "local"... interesting watching them go to a San Jose aquarium store to get a shark that they said was illegal, owner pissed off, talking about how he's had it for 15 years, then turns around to say he has the paperwork from the wholesaler that says it's still legal. Then had a bunch on illegal abalone fishermen, really sad sad thing, just an observation from the show but seems Asians were the ones who either ignorant or willfully were the ones breaking the law, wonder if its a seafood/culture thing or what.

culture thing for Asians and Filipino. When fishing, they never seem to fail taking over the legal limit or want to buy the fish i am fighting before i even get to net it... Its even more sad to see them picking the guts and useless parts of the fish after it has been on the ground for a while. This has been observed more than a hand full of times with my own eyes and is not meant to rag on them. I love to eat fish but not that religiously.

I've been to that store many years ago, I thought the shark looked a little cramped in there.

I wish I had that channel as I have heard that show is pretty interesting.

sfsuphysics said:
anyone catch this show? Seems the premise is that various F&W or whatever the state's equivalent is go around and bust people doing illegal stuff.

Then had a bunch on illegal abalone fishermen, really sad sad thing, just an observation from the show but seems Asians were the ones who either ignorant or willfully were the ones breaking the law, wonder if its a seafood/culture thing or what.

Had to resist tuning in... but this is like my fav show for the moment!
The show features both fishing and hunting, mainly hunting culture. To say that an entire race in the show were ignorant by breaking the law is a little opinionated no? Stereotypes do have some truth in them, but I could also make the statement that "Red Necks" :) love to exercise their rights as Americans! =) by shooting a doe on their own property? Does this included the occasional "white" collar hunter? Just a thought .

I am a lazy fisherman who has fished along side the Asians in Alameda during sturgeon season, some of us do report poaching.
One night, we saw a questionable 30 something Inch sturgeon taken on the shore at midnight. A quite attractive lady officer from CA Fish n Game approached asking questions. I was quite amazed, It had passed midnight. She was wearing a piece though, can't blame her. I think she was tipped off, or knew about the bite. Great show indeed.

"Stereotypes confer cognitive benefits to perceivers." :D

and

"By putting people into little boxes, we don’t have to think as much or as carefully about people. This frees up mental resources that can be devoted to other tasks, and yet we ourselves don’t suffer the negative consequences of having been put into that little box. This imbalance– cognitive benefits without negative consequences — make stereotypes easy tools for many of us to reach towards when, as we might say, the cognitive going gets tough. "

http://blogs.berkeley.edu/2011/02/02/why-are-stereotypes-so-difficult-to-eradicate/

So use them if you need them...

:D

krittertanks said:
sfsuphysics said:

Then had a bunch on illegal abalone fishermen, really sad sad thing, just an observation from the show but seems Asians were the ones who either ignorant or willfully were the ones breaking the law, wonder if its a seafood/culture thing or what.

Had to resist tuning in... but this is like my fav show for the moment!
The show features both fishing and hunting, mainly hunting culture. To say that an entire race in the show were ignorant by breaking the law is a little opinionated no? Stereotypes do have some truth in them, but I could also make the statement that "Red Necks" :) love to exercise their rights as Americans! =) by shooting a doe on their own property? Does this included the occasional "white" collar hunter? Just a thought .
Thanks for the reply, I was actually wondering when someone would respond as I really didn't mean it to sound like all Asians are like this, hell if that were the case there would be nothing in the ocean, I was just going by what was seen on the show and what my wife (honorary Asian :D) told me that when they first moved here from Taiwan that a friend of her mom told them about where to get all the abalone you want etc.. I realize this is mostly a Northern California thing so yeah the few cases they showed could have been biased making it look like Asians were who were primarily to cause. I didn't want to offend anyone, I was just curious if it was a cultural thing being seafood and all, perhaps a lot of people who do this are ignorant, or simply don't care. Didn't mean to pigeon hole you or any other member regardless of race, saying your race is to blame :D

sfsuphysics said:
I was actually wondering when someone would respond as I really didn't mean it to sound like all Asians are like this [...]
All the asians in BAR know not to respond when you make those kinds of posts :D

Gen is still a newbie here, so he slipped :D

Mr. Ugly said:
sfsuphysics said:
I was actually wondering when someone would respond as I really didn't mean it to sound like all Asians are like this [...]
All the asians in BAR know not to respond when you make those kinds of posts :D

Gen is still a newbie here, so he slipped :D

HeHe... ahh forums I'm too busy meddling. No offense taken, I find these racial /ethnical things comedic!
I suppose the seafood thing is a eat it if you've caught it thing. The 10+ Asian countries on the sea may not have much enforcement on the issue. Animals don't get much respect over there, unless they are considered gods by the majority... theres always the minority who may be hungry.
I once witnessed someone at the docks at Lake Del Valle dump a legally caught 5 lb trout under the docks. It was dead, and it ripped my heart out to see it wasted! He wasn't Asian =P

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/The_Wild_Within/Episodes_Travel_Guides/UrbanHunterSanFrancisco
Check this show, It's a great hunting/ fishin' show with a good message.

I have fished all around the bay area for over 20 years, mostly in Alameda. I have called caltip and the fish and game several times but they didnt come out while I was around. I have been checked before but not often enough. I dont usually fish to eat, but when I do catch a keeper I like releasing it knowing it got a second and that mosty others would have kept and eaten it. I am regulary apporached by other fisherman wanting to buy my catch but I have never sold one yet. What maddens me is the disrepect for the animals, leaving the body on the rocks to rot or letting the fish slowly die in a bucket. Not only that but the litter that many leave behind is also widespread. I know there is a severe lacking in the fish and game department because they simply dont have enough man power or funding. Where's a good lobbyist when you need one?

Back