Reef nutrition

Will everything die?!?!?

I put a wide variety of pellets in an eheim. The fish know when it’s about to go. The Tusk takes a very direct approach to make sure he’s first.

61BB3EC0-9C01-4E14-928D-0DFD5246AB57.jpeg

I use the Neptune AFS when I'm away as well. Fish will be fine w/o food for a few days but its probably not ideal so I kick the feeder on if im gone for more than 36 hours - mostly cuz I figure wouldn't skip feeding my dog so why would I skip my fish?

First time w/ an auto-feeder its probably worth running it a day or 2 before you leave to make sure the portion is fine and the flow/feeder-ring cooperate.

Fish can survive 1 month no feeding - not that you *should* do that, but they'll be fine.

Having recently traveled, done renovations, and generally mucked around with this stuff - the main things that will hurt you:
1) huge temperature swings (not a problem if you have climate control)
2) debris (unusual scenario)
3) equipment malfunction (unlikely but possible)

Fish and coral will be fine provided you have timers, flow, dosing, and filtration set up.

In general, sometimes when I leave for a week and have forgotten the auto feeder, the tank looks better.

But that’s like leaving for a week and not having food for your wife and kids and then saying the kitchen and toilet look cleaner than normal.

Well I'm coming home tomorrow and I just received my first Apex alarm. Temp is at 82.5. Oh well, not much I can do now. I'm not to worried about it. Unless I should be? Before I leave anywhere next time I'm going to put my AC on remote. I can't believe it's been hotter in San Jose than here on Reno

Well I'm coming home tomorrow and I just received my first Apex alarm. Temp is at 82.5. Oh well, not much I can do now. I'm not to worried about it. Unless I should be? Before I leave anywhere next time I'm going to put my AC on remote. I can't believe it's been hotter in San Jose than here on Reno

You can also use a fan, controlled by your Apex, to blow across the surface of the tank/sump to drop your temperature. Higher evaporation rate when doing so, but RO top off water shouldn't be an issue. It's been quite effective in my previous tanks and had no issues contending with the slightly higher than normal temperatures that we've been seeing, especially since I don't have AC in the condo.
1622565824335.png

You can also use a fan, controlled by your Apex, to blow across the surface of the tank/sump to drop your temperature. Higher evaporation rate when doing so, but RO top off water shouldn't be an issue. It's been quite effective in my previous tanks and had no issues contending with the slightly higher than normal temperatures that we've been seeing, especially since I don't have AC in the condo.
View attachment 27966
Yes, fans work great! And the inkbird or apex does exactly what you want with setting ranges. I have been super happy with the performance of it.

View attachment 27966
I do this too. It’s actually amazing how well it works. It seems to cool faster than my heater heats.

Back