Kessil

Willie’s Last Aquarium Build

What’s life without a few setbacks. I wanted to build a 70-90 gallon fowlr in my stand for my Blueface and goldflake since they are nippers. I contacted a person on here who is an aquarium store. Had an aquarium that was nearly the size I wanted. I asked if it was in decent condition. Yes responded. Its holds water fine. Told me there’s a chip. Ok. I can deal with that. It was cheap so I figured I would roll the dice. He was supposed to bring it to his shop. I drive super far to his shop. It’s not there. He instructs me to go to his house. It’s in the yard. It’s another 15 minutes away. I drove 1hour and the half to his store. Ok. Anyways. I picked it up. It was super dirty. Came home. Cleaned it up. Not 1 chip but two. Ok. I can reseal it. Spent a hour removing the silicone. Then I noticed the seams. Not one seam but many. My fault. I should have inspected closer.
IMG_2516.jpeg

Well. Total loss. I’m gonna build one out of acrylic. Check the pictures.
IMG_2515.jpeg
IMG_2514.jpeg

What’s life without a few setbacks. I wanted to build a 70-90 gallon fowlr in my stand for my Blueface and goldflake since they are nippers. I contacted a person on here who is an aquarium store. Had an aquarium that was nearly the size I wanted. I asked if it was in decent condition. Yes responded. Its holds water fine. Told me there’s a chip. Ok. I can deal with that. It was cheap so I figured I would roll the dice. He was supposed to bring it to his shop. I drive super far to his shop. It’s not there. He instructs me to go to his house. It’s in the yard. It’s another 15 minutes away. I drove 1hour and the half to his store. Ok. Anyways. I picked it up. It was super dirty. Came home. Cleaned it up. Not 1 chip but two. Ok. I can reseal it. Spent a hour removing the silicone. Then I noticed the seams. Not one seam but many. My fault. I should have inspected closer. View attachment 54702
Well. Total loss. I’m gonna build one out of acrylic. Check the pictures. View attachment 54703View attachment 54704
Damn

I’ll share an old school trick for pvc pipes and fittings. This is how to burn out a pipe from a fitting. THIS IS EXTREMELY TOXIC. VENTING IS A MUST !!!
Get a propane torch. And something that is just a little smaller than the pipe. I usually use a socket with an extension. You heat the socket like you are toasting a marshmallow. The hotter the better. The socket has to be clean each time. Insert into the pipe turn slowly in a circular motion. When you see the sides melting. It’s ready. Get a blunt standard screwdriver. Peel the pipe away from the fitting. Work quickly !!! If you work too slow the pipe will harden and you will have to grind it out. If it’s heated enough it will just peel out easy.
Ventilation is a must !!! No exceptions. Respirator required.
Now just sand the fitting out a little. Then it’s ready to be reused. Add extra glue when joining the next pipe.

Attachments

• IMG_2541.jpeg
    IMG_2541.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2534.jpeg
    IMG_2534.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2535.jpeg
    IMG_2535.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2533.jpeg
    IMG_2533.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2532.jpeg
    IMG_2532.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Well tomorrow is the big day. My 190 found a new home. Thanks Vu @Adauqua
Been slowly taking stuff apart for the past few weeks. It did not go smoothly. It was all my fault cuz I was sloppy. I broke my pentair uv. Chopped a wire to a light bar. ( it was plugged in at the time) not fun. Broke a pipe and shorted out my eb832. Thanks Eric the fish store. @Srt4eric
Anyways. Pictures for your viewing pleasure.
Me removing my fat sump. It barely fits. It’s one sweet sump.
IMG_2555.jpeg
IMG_2554.jpeg
IMG_2556.jpeg
IMG_2576.jpeg
IMG_2581.jpeg
IMG_2583.jpeg

I worked on the stand this week. Took it apart to move it up to the fish room. Added more bracing and more supports. Had to modify the bottom panel.
Built the light fixture. I got lucky and found a donor table on fb marketplace for super cheap. It’s a dual motor table too. Few hours with my old friends, Mr. Chop saw and Ms. Welder. Here we have it. View attachment 55286View attachment 55287View attachment 55288View attachment 55289View attachment 55290View attachment 55291View attachment 55292

That's some serious skill you have, lol maybe you should offer it as a service.

Back