Jestersix

Wow I should concentrate on growing out my Walt Disney frag!

It's been sold online for awhile under that name and there's a lot of controversy over the coral overall like some of the higher end pieces.
What? You mean vendors who get in colonies of stuff that kinda sorta look similar rename them as expensive known corals out there just to cash in on the craze? Ffffbt! Next you'll tell me that all the "Watermelon" chalices aren't all from the same mother colony! ;)

What? You mean vendors who get in colonies of stuff that kinda sorta look similar rename them as expensive known corals out there just to cash in on the craze? Ffffbt! Next you'll tell me that all the "Watermelon" chalices aren't all from the same mother colony! ;)

Oh come on Mike. Don't be a noob. You know that watermelon chalices are self replicating from one huge mother that's distributed throughout the country!

Which is why lineage is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is why lineage is important.
If you can know with absolute certainty that the lineage is in fact correct then sure I guess. But if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.... most people are not going to care if it's a not as long as it LOOKS like one. Getting a lineage piece still has it's issues too, as your tank might not be able to replicate the exact same conditions and the coral won't look the same as pictures.

Corals, it's a crap shoot, who would have thunk it :D

Reading the OP, now I'm wondering what you do differently to "concentrate" on growing a particular frag. Higher up for more par, direct feed, more flow area?

I don't get these prices. we will never run out tanks with those blues all the time.

I think that is part of the push behind the heavy UV addition in LED lighting.
You can crank up the UV, still get a fair bit of extra fluorescence, and not have a wonky blue tank.

Me - I simply buy ugly brown corals.
Much cheaper, and they will all end up looking that way under my normal white lights.
At least for a while. Then they turn white. Then they turn pinkish green.

Back