xinu's 375g tank

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by xinumaster, Nov 21, 2007.

1. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Did you have any run down on getting a time of use meter installed? It might not be as advantageous for you, since you probably use your fair share of electricity via air conditioning, but if you didn't I'd say move your tank lighting schedule later and see if that wouldn't save you more cash, since you make energy (as a result sell it back) at peak rates.

2. sfsuphysics

Hmmm n/m just realized PG&E has a funky E-7 rate, so that off peak power bought back over 300% of tiered usage costs more than peak power sold back.

3. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

My MH alone is already ~1.2kw, return pump is 350w, PH 4x tunze, 2x maxjet 1200 about 250w, skimmer ~50w. At this time of the year my chiller is running 60% of the time at ~600w.

Yup! I turn my light on at night because eletricity is cheaper at night and I not home during the day to enjoy my watching my tank. Rightnow, My 400W MH turns on in sequence:
    1st MH @5:00pm ON 12:00mn OFF
    2nd MH @6:00pm ON 1:00am OFF
    3rd MH @7:00pm ON 2:00am OFF
    4th MH @8:00pm ON 3:00am OFF

4. gimmito

gimmito Guest

Beautiful tank !

I'm hoping to do a large tank in the future (are'nt we all ?) any recommendations ? I do like the idea of a denitrator.

Jim

5. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

Thanks, Jim. You should join the Southbay Tank Tour in Sept.

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=3833.0

6. gimmito

gimmito Guest

Thank's for the heads up...I will definitely try to make it. Also, do you sell corals ? You have quite a few SPs that I would like to stock in the large tank.

Jim

7. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

Just got my latest pg&e bill today and my electricity is $86 for last month as compare to ~$320 before my solar system was installed. ;D

8. Elite

Elite Guest

Cool... $320 is not bad at all.. I don't have a big tank and my bill is almost that high. ::)

9. LeviT

LeviT Guest

So how much are you paying for the solar panels a month? less then $234 would be great.

10. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

I paid cash for the solar panels. $20k for 3.28kw system. Just think of buying a new car and with a $20k loan payable in 60mo at 4% int. You'll be paying around $360/mo; or 90mo for $250/mo. But remember electric bill goes up almost every year.

11. LeviT

LeviT Guest

Sounds like it'll work out for you. Find some places to cut power around the house and PG&E will be paying you in no time :)

12. sfsuphysics

Was last month an electrically unfriendly one? (i.e. air conditioning was needed)??

Either way $234 difference, for $20k those panels will pay for themselves in a little over 7 years, and that's assuming rates don't go up (which they most definitely will). After that it pays itself off those panels are "Free"

13. Roc

Roc Guest

So after 3 pages of solar panels and countless frags offered to the DBTC program whats the tank looking like????????

14. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

Im still waiting for Eric to post the pictures from the previous SBTT. ;D

15. Elite

Elite Guest

I guess he's busy :) ..

16. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

There must be something wrong with my new digital electric meter. My electric bill this month is only $4.31 ;D

17. sfsuphysics

hahahah SCORE!

18. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Guest

Yeah I wish my bill looked like that. Most the decimal point over 2 spots and that is closer to what my bill looks like

19. pixelpixi

pixelpixi Guest

[quote author=Tumbleweed link=topic=2609.msg60913#msg60913 date=1225035013]
    Yeah I wish my bill looked like that. Most the decimal point over 2 spots and that is closer to what my bill looks like
    [/quote]

Your bill was only $.0431?!

20. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Guest

Yeah I wish. That would be like winning the lottery for me