Kessil

Yuma Troubles

bookfish said:
Gravity fed ATO's need nothing more than a sealable reservoir and a feed tube. For small tanks the materials list would be a 2 liter soda bottle, some silicone, and a piece of airline hose. Could cost as much as $7 or $8. For larger tanks a carboy plus vinyl tubing is all you need.

Great advice, Jim. Physics tends to be more reliable than aqualifters, powerheads, and ATOs too! ;)

One note... don't oversize the reservoir. It is easy to make the mistake of putting in a bigger reservoir so that you can do less maintenance. But do so and an accident will cause too big of a swing. I recommend you only make it big enough for 3-7 days of topoff.

cwolfus said:
Great advice, Jim. Physics tends to be more reliable than aqualifters, powerheads, and ATOs too! ;)
I am? Hell I went with a ATO because of my lack of reliability!

On an aside, WIBGI thoughts a brewing!!!

I do have the colony of the green yumas still alive. They seem OK except for those 3 that created that mucus junk. Do you think I should dip them? Do yumas have any reactions to dipping? I'm going to do a light dip. It says 1 capful per gallon and I'm going to do 1 capful for 1.5 gallons just to be safe. I'm dipping a new rhodactis-like mushroom that is turquoise, yellow, and blue with a red fringe. They are aquacultured and they seem to be fine but I'm doing a light dip just in case. I'm just wondering if I should dip the yumas along with them just in case it is a parasite.

cwolfus said:
bookfish said:
Gravity fed ATO's need nothing more than a sealable reservoir and a feed tube. For small tanks the materials list would be a 2 liter soda bottle, some silicone, and a piece of airline hose. Could cost as much as $7 or $8. For larger tanks a carboy plus vinyl tubing is all you need.

One note... don't oversize the reservoir. It is easy to make the mistake of putting in a bigger reservoir so that you can do less maintenance. But do so and an accident will cause too big of a swing. I recommend you only make it big enough for 3-7 days of topoff.
Good point Charles and actually I'm way more conservative (older and more cynical) than you. I recommend only having as much in the ATO reservoir as you could dump in the tank at once and still feel safe. For most tanks this would only be 1 or days topoff volume. I try to view ATO's as a way to even up the topoff, not so much as a way to avoid a chore.

matthew I have a gravity fed ATO with a 1.5 gallon container that you can have, if you come pick it up. I made it a long time ago and I don't use it.

I used a gravity feed one for years as well. Great place to start.

I would not dip the corals as it will just stress them out more. Put the Yumas in a lightly shaded areas with low flow. It may be too late to rescue them though since yumas are very finicky.

If you get or make an auto top off system that uses floats make absolutely sure you get a back up float. It is a must since the floats often get stuck and cause major water overflows and decreases in salinity.
Patrick

using a whole gallon is a bit of a waste, you only need a cup (unless the rock is huge) you have to scale down the dosage though.

Hey Matthew, are these yumas in the same tank as all the anemones? If so, you may have some chemical warfare going on here. I seem to recall you mentioning that a couple of the RBTAs were dropping tentacles, and some other items were dropping pieces as well. It could be that you have some nematocycts floating around from the anemones, and these are coming in contact with the yumas and burning them (even if you don't see the aneone tentacles actually touching the yumas. Also, as others have mentioned above, yumas can be quite sensitive so you'll see reactions in them prior to the hardier organisms.

Well I think it may be fine now. I no longer have the 14" anemone because I took it back to where I bought it from. It was perfectly healthy, though I realized it was not a GBTA, which is why I took it back. Now I only have 3 anemones in my 34g and I plan to keep it that way. I'm going to just stick to corals from now on. Though for my B-Day I may do my eyes a favor and sell my ugly RBTA - the one with the screwy, curly, bumpy, tentacles that bothers me... I'll post a picture later - and buy one that looks more... well... regular. When I bought it, it looked fine, but now it is just so ugly. I personally think it ruins the look of my tank. I'll post a picture later and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Wow I was at the GM just after you left and I have to say that anem was no where near healthy upon it's return. That may be why you are having troubles Matthwe, you just haven't developed the eye for healthy or unhealthy specimens yet. A healthy anemone does not drop tentacles and surely doesn't change color like it did.

No no I was talking about a different anemone. That was the 12" one. The 14" one was the one I was talking about. I got the 14" one at Aquarium Concepts.

I'm gonna say it, you shouldn't be buying more nems :(. if you REALLY must have more you're better off waiting for clones so there's no chance of chemical warfare.

Anyone else feel like this thread is filled with useful advice and the conclustion has nothing to do with any of that advice? Anyone else feel like this thread seems like Deja Vu?

Roc said:
Anyone else feel like this thread is filled with useful advice and the conclustion has nothing to do with any of that advice? Anyone else feel like this thread seems like Deja Vu?

Yes, it does feel like Deja Vu, I do recall you saying Deja Vu a lot. ;)

Matthew,

I respectfully ask you to slow down with your coral purchases and additions. I understand the urge (hell I felt the same when I was learning when I was 12), but the slow experience will kill less animals in general, and will end up keeping you in the hobby long term. Nothing gets people out of the hobby like continual problems and dead animals (dead animals = money).
People have given you a whole lot of good advice, but a general growing feeling is that you have been ignoring it. In a community like ours, that will end up with people backing away from you in regards to advice and giving of corals - and trust me, no one wants that. We all want to invest in you, but people need to feel like the investment generates results.
Just chill and make what you already have thrive for 6 months, and then think about adding more. Reefs are about process, not product and once you take the time to mature some animals, it will make sense that even the product is process.
Perhaps spend some money on cameras, start a bitchin tank thread filled with pics and let everyone share in the maturing of your tank.

Thanks for considering my thoughts. :D

Back