Cali Kid Corals

[Aug 2, 2014] Behind the Scenes Tour of the Steinhart Aquarium (San Francisco, CA)

Huge skimmers!

Matt explaining how they add kalkwasser.

Matt explaining how they mix the saltwater by dumping huge bags of salt into the cisterns.

Now that's some salt!

Where they dump the salt into the cisterns to mix the water.

Matt explaining the different reactors.

Cupramine

GFO

Calcium Reactor

Sand Filters

Pumps that control the flow in the Philippine Coral Reef

Control Room

Food Preparation Room

Matt answering questions.

A holding room for coral frags and fish.

Scuba Equipment

Live Foods

Behind some of the smaller display tanks.

Sump for the smaller display tanks.

Water quality lab info

Medical facility info

Matt telling a story about how he had to stick his arm down the throat of the albino alligator to retrieve a shoe it had eaten.

Ha! I love that last picture!
Felicia, thanks for organizing, and everybody who attended thanks so much for coming and being great guests! It is really a pleasure to show people around who can appreciate and understand what they're looking at and ask such great questions.

Ha! I love that last picture!
Felicia, thanks for organizing, and everybody who attended thanks so much for coming and being great guests! It is really a pleasure to show people around who can appreciate and understand what they're looking at and ask such great questions.
Thanks again for being such an awesome tour guide and for answering all our questions. It was definitely a lot of fun!

I'm sorry it took me so long to find this sight....That sounds like that would have been an awesome experience to have....maybe another time they can do this again.

Jon

Back