got ethical husbandry?

100DIY NEED HELP FOR PREDRILL

Batiatus said:
GreshamH said:
I would construct an over flow box and affix it to the tank.

Any DIY overflow box here in this forum?

Think I could help you on the teeth for the OF but you can also use some black eggcrate.
Same tank I believe

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/7660

xcaret said:
Batiatus said:
GreshamH said:
I would construct an over flow box and affix it to the tank.

Any DIY overflow box here in this forum?

Think I could help you on the teeth for the OF but you can also use some black eggcrate.
Same tank I believe

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/7660

Definitely same tank. Please if you can help. I'm also willing to pay. I can make a measurment and once ready you can let me know

Thanks

Take measurement of the tank's height at the overflow, I'll check TAP for some nice scrap pieces of plexi. tomorrow. I need to make a jig for OF teeth if using a router but honestly I like egg-crate better

P1020805.jpg

Tumbleweed said:
You will need to build an internal overflow box. That is easy it is just 2 sides with cutout at the top.

Should I use the ABS Sheet or PVC or acrylic? How thick?

I was thinking of getting 2 sheets of 4x24?
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=335&

Just dont know how to put the slots. If Im going to tap might as well get the stuff cut for the sump im making. Im turning my 55 in to a sump but have no idea how should I do it. Lots of different DIY on the net

For the overflow box you will want it to run the entire height of the tank, and if your drain is 3" from the back and side wall I would have the overflow 8" x 5". 5" from the front to back and 8" left to right.
As for the sump a 3 chamber sump is pretty standard. It all depends on what you want to do with the sump. I have a 3 chamber sump with a seperate refugium. The height of the baffels in the sump depend on what your skimmer recomend water level is and how much it can hold when the return shuts off. Here is a link to a page that I found helpfull when I set up my first sump
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

xcaret said:
Take measurement of the tank's height at the overflow, I'll check TAP for some nice scrap pieces of plexi. tomorrow. I need to make a jig for OF teeth if using a router but honestly I like egg-crate better

P1020805.jpg

if I can use eggcrate that would be great. How thick of pvc, abs or acryly should I get? How do i glu them togethere? Or should I just drill holes like .25 or .5" and space them out by .5"?

Batiatus said:
Tumbleweed said:
Yes you build the overflow box and use some like a Durso Stand pipe.
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

Thanks for the. That can be easily done, sucks I bought a 12' 1" pvc hahahha

Also I called tap plastic and they might be able to make an overflow for me. what measurement do I need?

Tap Plastic just gave me a quote it will be $65, and it will take 2 weeks

Two weeks !!!???

Two pieces of scrap plexi 1/4 is great to work; I just came back from the Hospital, had to take a class there so I'll check the local TAP later. The box can be taller than the aquarium since it can be shortened at the base. aquatraders has a triangular overflow box, can't remember the price but I don't think that pricey. I find egg-crate better myself since it allows for nice flow, the routed teeth if they get clogged, flow decreases significantly.
You will need a bulkhead and PVC pipe, a PVC Tee, Cap and a 90 elbow for the Durso style OF drain pipe.

xcaret said:
Two weeks !!!???

Two pieces of scrap plexi 1/4 is great to work; I just came back from the Hospital, had to take a class there so I'll check the local TAP later. The box can be taller than the aquarium since it can be shortened at the base. aquatraders has a triangular overflow box, can't remember the price but I don't think that pricey. I find egg-crate better myself since it allows for nice flow, the routed teeth if they get clogged, flow decreases significantly.
You will need a bulkhead and PVC pipe, a PVC Tee, Cap and a 90 elbow for the Durso style OF drain pipe.

Aquatrader has one but it doesnt fit the 100GL. Dolphin has overflow kit for $80. Im thinking just buying the ABS from tap and egg crate. Is it cheaper to buy egg crate from home depot or tap?

xcaret said:
Two weeks !!!???

thinking of the ABS

ABS Sheets
Sheet size, colors, thickness and products available on our website are just a fraction of what's available at 20 TAP Plastics store locations.

ABS sheet has high-impact strength with a textured hair-cell finish on one side. Great for appliance covers, crisper trays, instrument panels. ABS has high impact strength and is ideal for making prototypes. It can be sawed, routed, glued and heat formed.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/540_abs.jpg

ABS can work just as good, maybe a single sheet heath formed/curved to go around the OF pipe and just seal the three contact points to the glass

Back