High Tide Aquatics

180 Custom Gallon Starfire

Gresham, is there anyway you could hook one of those fans up to automatically come on when either the heat or humidity level gets too high? Do you think the 4" is large enough for a 180 gallon tank + fuge area? The duct run would be about 15' to exit the house.

Are you going to run a brass hose bib for salt water? I don't think that is a good idea.
hookups.jpg

BTW is that tree a Banyan? There are a lot of those in Hawaii where I am from.

It like a Banyan, it's in the same family, but it's actually a Cuban Laurel - part of the ficus tree family. Great tree, but here in South FL all the ficus trees are getting attacked by a pest known as the white fly. I've been battling them for about a year in a half with tree injections, tree pesticide sprayers, and releasing natural enemies like lady bugs. It's helping but it's a up hill battle. But I don't mind if it helps this old tree. The Arborist says it's about 65-85yrs old. So it also is nearing it's end of life, just trying to keep that old fella healthy and sprouting new leaves.

Cuban Laurel Info

What a great home and project!!!!
What town are you in?
BTW I used this greenhouse thermostat to run my fan.
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/controls.shtml
I hardwired mine but you could get the plug and play one also.
It works flawlessly!

I moved to St Petersburg, FL. It's been a great winter.. 75 degrees today :) Got to say I don't miss the cold blistery summer wind off of SF Bay

I like this build thread because it's bigger than just the tank, but the infrastructure that supports it! Do tell about the fan solution as I really need one in my fishroom

Not too much more to show on the tank progress, but I did run the 6" ventilation duct from the center top of the tank through to the outside. Next step is finish the walls, then real progress starts to happen!

6657062895_9ac1708626_z.jpg

Something like this?
http://www.kbico.com/product_info.php?products_id=251

Brass will kill all your coral.

Ok thanks guys, I'll fix that on Thursday, hopefully I don't need to take the whole thing apart. I had no idea Brass broke down in saltwater. I always used it on my boat and the parts always seemed to last.

Well changed out the saltwater tap to a PVC one and also insulated the entire downstairs. The PVC valve isn't pretty but it functions and I had the plumber figure out a non metal solution. Thanks guys for the help.

6717863635_99e87aa2fc_z.jpg

6717885263_f8f5357774_z.jpg

Also having the lower roof replaced with metal, thought you guys would like to see this, I have to say I've always wanted a house with a industrial styled roof. The metal roofs have a 40yr warranty on them

6717890169_42dd2b5168_z.jpg

very cool.
Love your tank (house) build. :bigsmile:
2010-10-31GregsCamera001.jpg

We put a metal roof on this cool houseboat that I built for a client.
more pics here...
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/jonrauh/houseboat/

getting a bit closer, here's the area the tank is going to be installed

6924833443_3f1cf6a19d.jpg

6924833373_107eeaa760.jpg

Switched out he Brass knob
6778715268_8063037c71.jpg

Here's the ventilation duct
6778715286_26c32522c2.jpg

Here's the saltwater holding tanks location

6778715352_996e7592c1.jpg

Back