Cali Kid Corals

2009 Regional Swap - What did you bring home?

cwolfus

Past President
I had a great day and I hope you did too.

I happily brought home:

Karl's candlelight from SeminoleCPA
Flames of hell leptastria from Bluenassarius

What did you get?

Surybaya pink tip green base Prostrata (please LMK who you are that contributed it), C-quarium unk, Sergio's tenuis, I won some killer yellow deepwater from Aquatic Collection. I missed picking round time b/c I wasn't paying attention.

Anyone get any False Aqua Delight? :D

i got the war peace favia! i was hoping it might make a cameo and it did! :D

it was sps from there on..

monti nodosa
sunset monti
leng sy cap
green w red polyp undata
ugly prostrata

on the side trades.. i came away w

aquascene golden eye chalice
miami hurricane chalice
teal leptastrea
true undata

Wasn't really looking for anything except one nice chalice (the BAR ones I already have, sorry Sergio :)), and my H picking group left me empty handed in that regards. Lack of room in my tank kept me really not even looking at much. I did end up snagging a Pink Lemonade and a Shades of Fall, now I need to find the room for them!

A few other random goodies I snatched up too, but they can stay on the bottom of the tank so it's ok.

However I did win this guy in the raffle, Ana... er Alien Invasion Chalice or something (the ink was worn pretty much off the bag). While it's not a watermelon, it is a very nice one and at least gets into the semi-exotic category so I'm happy :) Kudos to Neptune for donating something that I wanted :D Picture white balanced from a blue only shot.. so some of the fluorescence is a bit over exaggerated.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/AlienInv.jpg

swap frags purple digi colony - thales
monti peltiformis- cwolfus

side trades purple montster
pink lemonade
superman monti
palmers milli

dbtc purple/blue chalice sponge - cookiejar

I had a great time chatting with anyone that would listen..........and the coral picking was fun as well.
Thank you everyone that was involved with making the swap run smooth.

Sergio

I had a great time, even though I missed my first go around by about 20 seconds, but I got what I wanted anyways :)

orange crush acan Seminolecpa
Green slimer Seminolecpa/alve
ORA Indo Blue Staghorn Tuberider
Neon Green Hydnophora Cookie Jar
Metallic Green Candycane
Orange cap
True idaho grape
Green cap
an sps that was marked either nanu or vanu
and another sps of some sort
I had to just grab some random corals a couple times.

Raffle Prizes: :)
Neptune's Green Toxic Chalice
and an unknown sps cause I grabbed it right when it was my groups turn to go in.

I got the Ugly Prostrata, True Undata, Blue Tort, flourescent green milli and I'm going to try to color up that "Ian's Browned out special"...

I also won a really nice pink chalice from Neptune a big chunk of green/red favia from OT and $300 in gift certs. :p

A good size frag of setosa from Sergio (thanks Ian!)
A large green slimmer from Mike (sfsuphysics)
couple other brown stick that I don't know the name.
An orange cap and a brown zoa ...

plus other frags that I was "asked" to take (the BAR tradition :D )

Oh I won a $50 gift cert. which I have to spend $100 to use it from AWI :|

Some cool stuff from Sam. Don't know what they are, but Sam said, "Here, take these." :D

Blue polyp danae that Jim and I had split a while back. I lost mine last year, but Jeremy had a frag of it, and brought it for me today. Thanks Jeremy!

DBTC Orange nodosa from Serge.

At the swap tables I looked for stuff that I had lost a while back. Came up with:

Setosa(the new xenia) from Serge
Pink polyp cap from Bryan/Aldie

Also got some interesting stuff:

porites from Charles
Prop program red polyp monti
blue ridge coral from Robin - neat octocoral that has a skeleton
monti vietnamensis from Bryan/Aldie (I already have this from Bryan, but I really like it, so I got another one today)

Hey everyone! This was my first BAR swap and I had a great time. You guys did a great job!

I picked up:

True undata
Red and blue blasto merletti (I have never seen one like it, it's like a Superman Merletti!)
Orange crush acan
pinkish yellowish rose millie
3 different types of zoas all picked in the last rounds and not a single one is brown or boring! :bigsmile:

thumb.gif

:D

All Hail Bay Area Reefers' Board and generous members!

First year for me at this event. It felt like Christmas. I did not realize that I would walk away with 12 + sps frags. I have just converted my 65 gallon aquarium into an SPS but the only problem was there were hardly any SPS. But now!

Here are some of my picks:

Purple Valida-Acro- Tong Gao
Pink Green Milli- Wolfus
False Aqua Delight- Tuberider
Blue Tip Acropora- Sfsuphsics
some wild looking cap as well

By the way, I tried to go to the link for the Frag Dip per the bottle for insturctions and the link was not working...can some one direct me the the proper link?

Thanks
Bula

ReefnMadness said:
Red and blue blasto merletti (I have never seen one like it, it's like a Superman Merletti!)
Probably came from me, I tossed I think 4 frags into the swap (one was on the small side, another was on the "I don't want to frag any more" size).... and no calling it Superman Merletti, if you want to name it something you need to be WAY more creative ;)

Bula: Here you go

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/8062

The math alone to convert ml and liters to what you have in a container probably would be enough to make you go mad, so I'd suggest "mild, medium and heavy" concentration... being something like a herbal tea (Chamomile) aka "mild", a darker black tea (Lipton tea bags) "medium", and a VERY dark tea (a black tea bag that's been sitting in a cup for a long time) "heavy". I think I mentioned coffee to you at the swap, but that might be too concentrated.

Thanks for the directions again. I kind of spaced if off so having it in writing is cool.

We also got Salinity Standard and Alk Standard.

Are there direction for these too?

The salinity standard is pretty straight forward, use the dropper from your refractometer and put some on the crystal, then you can adjust the little screw on the top so that it lines up with 35 ppt. If you use a swing arm or a floating hydrometer most likely there isn't enough solution to test, but then again the error ranges for those most likely are going to make any sort of mental calibration ineffective.

The Alk standard can't say, maybe Norman will pipe in since he mixed them up.

sfsuphysics said:
ReefnMadness said:
Probably came from me, I tossed I think 4 frags into the swap (one was on the small side, another was on the "I don't want to frag any more" size).... and no calling it Superman Merletti, if you want to name it something you need to be WAY more creative ;)

Thanks, Mike. It's a really nice piece! Oh and I'm not going to name it. lol Just trying to describe the colors (amazing). Superman is overused anyway. ;)

I wouldn't use the refractometer standard for checking a hydrometer. No guarantee that the specific gravity of the standard relates to its refractive index the same way as with seawater. Use it for calibrating refractometers only.

For the alk standard, just test a sample of that with your test kit the same way you would test your tank water. You should get something pretty close to 3.8 meq/L.

Back