Cali Kid Corals

24x48x16 Prop/Display

When I get my Tru Vu flat, all these corals will go into the new tank, and the current tank will be swapped in place of my 72. Instead of egg crate, I'll do some kind of shelf rock setup for frags and colonies.

Ok, I got a gyre-ish setup running in this tank.

I put in a couple MJ1200's and a couple Seio 620's along the back bottom of the tank. The powerheads are aimed toward the front. I didn't do any curved flow deflectors. The water just hits the front of face of the tank, shoots up, goes back toward the overflow, then back down to the powerheads.

Between the p/h's and the return pump, I have about 28x turnover of tank volume. I eyeballed the linear velocity of the water movement by timing the front/back travel of some flake food. Takes about 4 seconds to cross the tank, so that's about 15cm/s.

And per the gyre tank article:

Since the water flow was so unidirectional in this long aquarium, it was very simple to measure flow speed. Water velocity was calculated by adding neutrally buoyant particles to the water and timing how long it took for them to travel across a distance of the aquarium. Using this technique I was able to measure water flow speeds between 15-22cm/s throughout the entire aquarium. These velocities are within the range of ideal flow speeds for optimum particle capture, respiration and photosynthesis of many corals.

When this tank eventually replaces the display tank, I'll use flat rock for supporting frags and colonies. I'll run a couple MJmods and a couple Seio 820's the same way for flow. I'm guessing that those will be enough to make up for the added drag of the rock to give decent linear velocity.

Eeesh... no really, it wasn't all that difficult to do by hand.

I was considering using power tools, but supposedly you can easily overheat the acrylic when polishing.

Plus I was wet sanding with about a quarter inch of water in the tank.

ah ok. I have a 40g acrylic that I am highly tempted t convert to a reef, but I know how easily they can get scratched up in reef environments.

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=2051.msg38936#msg38936 date=1206645486]
Norm, are you saying that the euro brace isn't glued?
[/quote]

?

Eurobrace is glued in!

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2051.msg20383#msg20383 date=1179841985]
On this tank, I actually didn't glue the tops pieces on top, but I inset them to the inside of the top, then flush trimmed the saw cut edges. The joints are in tension, rather than shear, but I figured they would be okay with all the surface area from the 1/2 inch acrylic eurobraces.
[/quote]

What top piece didn't you glue? Are you saying that you have euro brace rabbited (sp)?

I think he ment that instead of traditionally cementing the brace to the top surface of the walls, he cemented the brace to the inner surface of the walls.

====
||
||

vs
||==
||

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=2051.msg38939#msg38939 date=1206645775]
ah ok. I have a 40g acrylic that I am highly tempted t convert to a reef, but I know how easily they can get scratched up in reef environments.
[/quote]

Haha... mine's already scratched again. I was lazy and left my magfloat in the tank for a long time. Some tiny snails got underneath, and when I finally went to use the magnet, the shells made some decent new scratches.

Back