Jestersix

3/3 Frag swap at Cali Kid Coral

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
Cali Kids will be having an open frag swap on Sunday, March 3rd at the Concord, CA location! Now with awesome flyer:

3480445673157743786.png

Location : Cali Kid Corals, 5416 Ygnacio Valley Rd Ste 50, Concord, CA 94521
Date : March 3, 2024
Time : 12:00 PM (registration starts at 11:30 AM)

Schedule
11 AM - 12 PM: Setup
11:30 AM - 12 PM: Registration, check-in, and running corals
12 PM - 2 PM or so: Swapping corals!

Volunteer thread here!

Raffle Prizes Announced:

Lightning maroon clownfish pair
Longfin black ice clownfish pair
Borbonius anthias
20 gal aio tank
Rock structure
Calikid gift card
Reef nutrition pack
High end torch (TBD)
CSB anemone

This post is older but a good intro to how swaps work for those of you who haven’t been to one yet (some details have changed):

How does a BAR Frag Swap Work?

This thread will serve to explain how BAR Frag Swaps work in general and save space in the frag swap event threads. *Each frag swap event may have specific rules so read the frag swap thread too!* See any major errors or have concerns? PM me. What is a frag swap? A frag swap...
www.bareefers.org

Banned corals:
1708460389889.png

Valid corals:
  • Corals MUST be in clear plastic containers, that includes lids and sides, so no styrofoam. Plastic bags will not be allowed.
  • Corals MUST be labeled with at the very least a description (e.g. name and/or color + coral type), your username. The approximate lighting level they are under can be helpful.
    • PLEASE LABEL THE LID OF THE CONTAINERS. Everyone will look down on them, so it makes it easier.
  • These corals are not eligible for swapping, but can be brought for the freebie table.
  • Corals should be healthy and pest free. While we should assume everything could have hidden pests, if your frag plug has Aiptasia or signs of pests it will not be accepted.
  • Frag sizes you should use will vary. I like to say "what kind of frag would you like to see" and use that as a guideline for how much/how big.
  • There's always a debate about mounted versus unmounted corals, and that probably will never get settled, as a result no requirement either way.
  • Things like anemones are ok if they're of a desirable nature i.e. bubble tips, maxi-mini carpets, NOT Aiptasia.
  • Sponges are not valid frags and neither is almost any type of macroalgae, but can be brought for the freebie table.
    • The 'almost' is for caulerpa species, which are now illegal and carry a hefty fine to possess or sell in CA.

Last edited:
Cali Kids will be having an open frag swap on Sunday, March 3rd at the Concord, CA location.

We are still working on some of the details, will be added to thread/this post as we go.

Location : Cali Kid Corals Concord - 5416 Ygnacio Valley Rd Ste 50, Concord, CA 94521
Date : March 3, 2024
Time : TBA

More details to come!
Just curious, I've attended a memebers only swap, beyond the obvious of its open to non bar members. How are they different? As in bonus rounds corals etc. If this information will be added here later please disregard I can wait till then.

Just curious, I've attended a memebers only swap, beyond the obvious of its open to non bar members. How are they different? As in bonus rounds corals etc. If this information will be added here later please disregard I can wait till then.
I am ready! Frags mounted on plugs. Hopefully some nice encrusting by the swap

Hey Michael, the Bonus/Ultra rounds are not something that we typically do for public frag swaps. So that will not be a feature of this swap.

Beyond that, there’s not much difference to note.

Hey Michael, the Bonus/Ultra rounds are not something that we typically do for public frag swaps. So that will not be a feature of this swap.

Beyond that, there’s not much difference to note.
Glad to know any specific number of corals to bring or not bring?

with the flyer just stating "bring 3 frags" and it being an open swap, how do we regulate banned corals if someone not in the know ends up bringing one?

with the flyer just stating "bring 3 frags" and it being an open swap, how do we regulate banned corals if someone not in the know ends up bringing one?
We'll let them know at check in. They can pop in and grab something from Cos if they're short one.

So there's a last-minute need for tables and chairs. If anyone has any 4 or 6 foot folding tables, and/or folding chairs, it would be very much appreciated to bring them on Sunday. Thanks!

(Also, given how chaotic this can be, just make sure they're marked beforehand since we learned the hard way a lot of tables look similar.)

So there's a last-minute need for tables and chairs. If anyone has any 4 or 6 foot folding tables, and/or folding chairs, it would be very much appreciated to bring them on Sunday. Thanks!

(Also, given how chaotic this can be, just make sure they're marked beforehand since we learned the hard way a lot of tables look similar.)
I have two folding tables I can bring if still needed.

Back