Our mission

3D printed trident guide

So just to add my opinion here.
I've had my Trident since Nov 2018. I've never had an issue with the needles. I check and make sure they are straight before changing the bottles out.

So just to add my opinion here.
I've had my Trident since Nov 2018. I've never had an issue with the needles. I check and make sure they are straight before changing the bottles out.

that’s cause you’re King Triton of Neptune. Us mere mortals are too lazy to obey the laws of the sea. :)

I literally last night observed that over 25% of re agent “a” was considered “empty” by the trident system. I disagree that something that positions the needle isn’t needed.

The reagent isn’t cheap and wasting 1/4 of a bottle isn’t economical.

Randy

I literally last night observed that over 25% of re agent “a” was considered “empty” by the trident system. I disagree that something that positions the needle isn’t needed.

The reagent isn’t cheap and wasting 1/4 of a bottle isn’t economical.

Randy
The needle guide is not going to change that. Did you get the number of tests the set of reagents are supposed to give you? If so, then you are not 'wasting'.
Everyone's tank has different levels, so the reagents are filled to account for the tanks that have higher levels requiring more reagent. So if you have lower levels, you will get more left over.

The needle guide is not going to change that. Did you get the number of tests the set of reagents are supposed to give you? If so, then you are not 'wasting'.
Everyone's tank has different levels, so the reagents are filled to account for the tanks that have higher levels requiring more reagent. So if you have lower levels, you will get more left over.

the unit said I had 15 tests left from reagent bottle a. It then complained about being out reagent a.

I received a in red flashing message that I was out of reagent a. No testing errors.
I'm guessing it ran into testing inconsistency and did multiple tests to confirm.

The needle guides are for issues resulting from the needle not being straight in the bottle. This causes errant readings that jump very high when reagent levels are below a certain level because the needle starts taking in air.

In your case, you would start seeing very high levels and eventually will end up in an test A fail or out of range error. Not out of reagent.

I'm guessing it ran into testing inconsistency and did multiple tests to confirm.

The needle guides are for issues resulting from the needle not being straight in the bottle. This causes errant readings that jump very high when reagent levels are below a certain level because the needle starts taking in air.

In your case, you would start seeing very high levels and eventually will end up in an test A fail or out of range error. Not out of reagent.
While we are on the subject, how would you feel about topping off reagent A with fresh reagent instead of swapping the bottle? I feel like after 5 bottles, I am potentially left with enough A for a new bottle. I assume the Trident unit is relying on the volume of A to be set when it is reset, so if we take care of that through the old reagent A, do you see any issues? Obviously the reagent will eventually go bad, so I don't want to try the "sourdough" method and keep old going too long, but within the expiration date, is anything wrong with this?

While we are on the subject, how would you feel about topping off reagent A with fresh reagent instead of swapping the bottle? I feel like after 5 bottles, I am potentially left with enough A for a new bottle. I assume the Trident unit is relying on the volume of A to be set when it is reset, so if we take care of that through the old reagent A, do you see any issues? Obviously the reagent will eventually go bad, so I don't want to try the "sourdough" method and keep old going too long, but within the expiration date, is anything wrong with this?
Once the bottle is opened, the clock starts ticking. The expiry date only applies when the bottle is still sealed. Adding old reagent into new reagent will contaminate the new reagent and reduce the time frame it stays useable. It is not recommended.

Once the bottle is opened, the clock starts ticking. The expiry date only applies when the bottle is still sealed. Adding old reagent into new reagent will contaminate the new reagent and reduce the time frame it stays useable. It is not recommended.
Thank you! That is what I suspected, so it is likely ok for a little bit (going off label) but then I would trust the results less over time. The main reason I asked was when I had my first Trident, I realized it was off when I was half through with the reagent A. I have a new DOS that I have not hooked up to my Trident for fear of what the software is going to do to my dosing. I understand ml/day which my current pump does, I would love to learn more about the (likely proprietary for good reason) algorithm for how the Trident decides the amount to dose.

Thank you! That is what I suspected, so it is likely ok for a little bit (going off label) but then I would trust the results less over time. The main reason I asked was when I had my first Trident, I realized it was off when I was half through with the reagent A. I have a new DOS that I have not hooked up to my Trident for fear of what the software is going to do to my dosing. I understand ml/day which my current pump does, I would love to learn more about the (likely proprietary for good reason) algorithm for how the Trident decides the amount to dose.
You do not have to use Trident controlled dosing (TCD) with the DOS. You can keep them separate.

With TCD, you control how much +/- to dose and how much +/- reading to allow. So you can set a range of +/- 0.2 dkh and a 25% +/- change in dosing. If the reading strays past the set +/- 0.2dkh, Apex reverts to your baseline dosage. So there is no way for a runaway dosing situation where the Apex just keeps adding. There is always a ceiling and a floor.

I can’t make it because I’m already in route to another person’s house. Can you please leave the guide with Eddie at Neptune Aquatics?

Back